Re: Tails

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

      > Your description is unclear. Is your 2nd still a potstill or reflux
      > still?
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      OOOPs

      Both of my stills are pot stills. I have an 8 gallon SS pot still that
      I can put a full 25 liters in and I use my second pot still 2.5 gallon
      SS to collect in.

      Bill1burp
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Your description is unclear. Is your 2nd still a potstill or
        reflux
        > > still?
        > >
        > > Slainte!
        > > regards Harry
        > >

        > OOOPs
        >
        > Both of my stills are pot stills. I have an 8 gallon SS pot still
        that
        > I can put a full 25 liters in and I use my second pot still 2.5
        gallon
        > SS to collect in.
        >
        > Bill1burp

        Then that is partly the problem. No reflux. The riser section
        (column) of your second still (a potstill) is nowhere near big enough
        to give meaningful reflux.

        The huge 20 foot tall Scotch potstills get reflux due to the vast
        amount of surface area (riser or column) ABOVE the pot.

        Without some method of metering product output (a valve, as in reflux
        still designs) to allow total and/or partial refluxing in small
        stills, there is little or no reflux. Therein lies the fundamental
        difference between reflux stills & potstills for the hobbyist (small-
        scale) producer. If you want/need cleaner product, you need a better
        separator (still), or a better (few contaminants) starting
        wash/mash/fermentation in the first place.

        Purpose of reflux: To get better separation of ethanol from
        contaminants. No reflux = most contaminants stay in the booze.

        Purpose of copper mesh: twofold (depending on still design).

        1) In potstills, to remove sulfides from the process fluids;
        2) In REFLUX column, 1 above, AND to provide more surface area to
        perform process fluids contact (vapors & liquids).

        There is much to learn & consider when practicing spirits
        manufacture. But it's like riding a bike; it becomes automatic after
        a while. And it has pleasant rewards. :))

      • castillo.alex2008
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi ddman

          In the mean time (while you get a bigger column for a bigger/better
          reflux) you may want to use some baking soda to get rid of the
          nasties (esters) that are giving you a hard time. A few tbs per
          stripped gallon is a begginning. Shake it well and let it be for a
          day or two, then do your spirits run as usual.

          Alex
          <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

          > Hello folks
          >
          > I have been doing this hobby for a while now. I have a few sugar
          and
          > corn runs under my belt. Since I started distilling I have saved my
          > heads and tails from all my batches. During my spirit runs I have
          > been adding my heads from previous runs back into the batch and
          > distilling normally, taking care of pulling my foreshots, heads
          > before I start to collecting the heart. After the heart I collect
          the
          > tails and set them aside.
          >
          > On my last sugar run I did the strip run that went normal like the
          > rest I have done in the past. I collect the low wines in my second
          > still and added water and about 400ml to 600ml of heads from
          previous
          > batches.
          >
          > The first time I did my strip run I had a cold. I was unable to
          smell
          > or taste my product during the run. So after a few days I got rid
          of
          > my cold and was able to taste my product. My god it tasted like
          crap.
          > FOOT in big bold black letters was all I could think of.
          >
          > I must have messed up during my strip run and got some tails into
          the
          > batch so I just set it aside and waited until I had time to do the
          > spirit run again.
          >
          > This weekend I did the spirit run again and this time I do not have
          > cold. I was able to get my still head up to about 177F where it set
          > for about 4 hours. My drip into my collection jar was about 4 to 6
          > drops per second. The column I have is a 2in by 2ft SS. I used
          copper
          > scrubbers packed into the column to get a bit of reflux.
          >
          > During the run I collected about 300ml of heads because I had added
          > about 400ml of heads to this run before I started. At about 183F I
          > had collected about 1.75L of 180 ABV. The next 300ml started
          tasting
          > like FOOT again so I started testing every 200ml so I could pin
          down
          > where my tails were comming in on my distillate.
          >
          > I pull about 600ml at 70 ABV that was not bad tasting but could be
          > carbon filtered and be ok for mixed beverage. The next 400ml
          smelled
          > like the big FOOT again, I checked my temp and I am setting at 187F.
          >
          > I decided to pull until I hit 190F. Within 5 minutes I had achieved
          > this and I shut down my still.
          >
          > Now for the questions.
          >
          > Why did I get the big bad FOOT so early in my distillate? Is it
          > because I have reran and reran my heads thru so many spirit runs?
          >
          > Any answers will be welcome.
          >
          > The best for last
          > BILL1BURP

        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
            Thanks

            I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on what to do with the
            tails. I might try to age a pint or two on heavy oak just to see what
            it will do but most of it will go to killing the ant piles that persist
            in my back yard.

            Understanding that heads and tails are used to bring corn hooch to that
            certain flavor before aging I now have a real taste of what tails can
            do in moderation. I can now see that their is a place for heads and
            tails in my future batches of corn whiskey that I will want to age on
            some good oak.

            I think that having some tails around left over from previous corn
            batches and doing a taste test of the tails before I start my blending
            process will give me a better idea of what I want out of the final
            batch after oaking. Now I can see why master blenders are worth their
            weight in gold.

            I am cerious though, is there a set amount of tails that go into
            finished spirit runs that the major distillers do. Like for every 25
            gallons of corn hooch they would put in 1 gallon of tails???
            What a good learning experence.

            The best for last
            BILL1BURP
          • gerryruiz1701
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2014

              Just to be 100% sure. there is no need to "cut" or throw out anything when running a batch of just the tails from previous runs, Right?

            • Douglas French
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
                I cut heads and tails when I rerun tails . It  Depends on the taste for me.

                Douglas French
                Caballeros, Inc./ Scorpion Mezcal sa de cv
                Oaxaca, Mexico
                Tel: 52-951-516-0654
                Destileria: 951-511-5701
                Cel: 951 508 1030
                www.scorpionmezcal.com
                www.oaxacanstuff.com
                Enviar factura o comprobante de pago a: scorpionfactura@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
                  Agreed, go by taste.
                • hopefull romantic
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2014

                    No save all your heads and tails till enough  and run them again taking out heads and tails which  and throw those out

                  • edbar44
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2014
                      Is it really worth the effort? I save my tails and add them to the next wash I plan to distill, works fine. Unless you are using a very small apparatus, it would take a long time to get enough to distill on its own.