Re: What to do with 1 1/2 gal of tails

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
      <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

      > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year. They
      are
      > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something with
      them
      > other then pouring them down the drain.
      >
      > Any suggestions???
      >
      > The best for last
      > BILL1BURP

      It make great ant & weedkiller. :)

    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.

        Bill1burp

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year.
        They
        > are
        > > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something
        with
        > them
        > > other then pouring them down the drain.
        > >
        > > Any suggestions???
        > >
        > > The best for last
        > > BILL1BURP
        > >

        > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

          > The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.
          >
          > Bill1burp
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
          > > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year.
          > They
          > > are
          > > > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something
          > with
          > > them
          > > > other then pouring them down the drain.
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions???
          > > >
          > > > The best for last
          > > > BILL1BURP
          > > >

          > > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
          > >
          > > Slainte!
          > > regards Harry

          For a while there I was saving Heads and Tails in a jug Marked
          Feints. After I had built up almost 3 gallons I decided to attempt to
          Reflux them into Something Drinkable. The Run yielded a gallon of 92%
          and I think I pulled off a good quart of heads. I stopped the Still
          at 175F and Dumped the rest out of the boiler. Yes on an Ant Bed.
          Although the stuff never gave me a headache or made me feel ill it did
          not have even a remotely "neutral" taste even after several days of
          aging and some aeration. I still have it aging in a dark corner and I
          recently took the advice of aging it with the cap off and a piece of
          felt rubber banded on top. We will have to see if that helps it. I
          can say that I wont be bothering with the Tails anymore though. Not
          worth the effort to recover that so called usable Alcohol. Just my 2
          pennies.

          Mason
        • castillo.alex2008
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
            Hi

            I always recycle my heads and tails in the new spirits run, but once
            I did the unthinkable, oak age a mixture of heads and tails, they
            were at 75% ABV and after one month well, was somehow drinkable, not
            smooth of course. I now added more oak and is still aging, just for
            the sake of experimentation or for neighbors dying for at least a
            shot of hooch no matters what quality it is.

            A!

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
            > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.
            > >
            > > Bill1burp
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

            > > They
            > > > are
            > > with
            > > > them

            > > > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
            > > >
            > > > Slainte!
            > > > regards Harry
            >
            > For a while there I was saving Heads and Tails in a jug Marked
            > Feints. After I had built up almost 3 gallons I decided to attempt
            > Reflux them into Something Drinkable. The Run yielded a gallon of
            92%
            > and I think I pulled off a good quart of heads. I stopped the Still
            > at 175F and Dumped the rest out of the boiler. Yes on an Ant Bed.
            > Although the stuff never gave me a headache or made me feel ill it
            did
            > not have even a remotely "neutral" taste even after several days of
            > aging and some aeration. I still have it aging in a dark corner
            and I
            > recently took the advice of aging it with the cap off and a piece of
            > felt rubber banded on top. We will have to see if that helps it. I
            > can say that I wont be bothering with the Tails anymore though. Not
            > worth the effort to recover that so called usable Alcohol. Just my 2
            > pennies.
            >
            > Mason

          • tim smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
              Hi   been reading posts about feints.I like the rest of you have tried to get something worth drinking out of feints.With a grain mash i have good results with feints using a detuned reflux pda-1 type column.With a sugar wash , i can't get a quality product,so i don't save them in large quantity.I pour them into the next stripping run "on sugar washes only"
                later    Tim

              --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@ ...>