activated carbon

  • shadlejim
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2008
      can I reuse the activated carbon after filtering?
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shadlejim" <maddog12@...> wrote:

        > can I reuse the activated carbon after filtering?

        Yes, with a lot of effort to clean/dry it before doing so. It's
        cheaper (and less mess) in the long run to just mulch it for your
        garden, and use new carbon for your hooch.

      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2008
          Maddog,

          Of course you can and a lot easier than washing/preparing new carbon everytime you need it.

          I throw the carbon in with my neutral spirit in the jug and leave it for abount a week to clean the product.  When I am done, I remove the carbon, spread it on newspaper to let the product drain out and then throw it into a bucket/pot of hot water to displace any remaining product.  When it cools a bit, stir it with your hand and rinse a couple of times with warm water.  Finally, drain off as much water as you can and spread out on newspaper for a few days (If you leave it in the Sun, even better).

          New carbon has to be treated and washed so the dust does not get into your product.  This process can be used over and over.

          Regards,

          Bwyze

          Message 4 of 11 , May 16, 2010
            How many uses can you normaly get out of one batch of carbon?????
            Message 5 of 11 , May 17, 2010
              Depending on how you clean it, you can get several uses. If you read
              Gert Strand's book, he recommends cleaning by high heat or steam. Steam
              cleaning, or boiling and then baking it in the oven sounds like the
              easiest way to go.

              Maybe Ken Mc. will describe his method and how many uses he can get out
              of a batch.

              JB.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "running_with_rum39" <germ60@...>
              wrote:

              > How many uses can you normaly get out of one batch of carbon?????

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 11 , May 17, 2010

                JB,

                Activated Carbon here in NZ is cheap about $7.00 to treat about 10 litres of 50%ABV. To clean and dry the used carbon is time consuming and with electric power to dry in an oven etc makes it  not worth while in my opinion  so I just throw mine out after use (takes about 195gram of carbon to fill my Z filter). I buy a kilo for $29.00

                Go to my file http://tinyurl.com/cv3mwa and read at the end of “running a reflux still” and “filter” to see how I use carbon

                Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                Message 7 of 11 , May 17, 2010

                  Ken,

                  I hear ya mate.  Not sure where Running is from, but its pretty cheap here in the US also.

                  Below is some pricing from Brewhaus.  Harry is also of the same opinion, but others think its just as hard to prep new stuff.  Here is some discussion on this topic from a few years ago:

                  JB.

                  Re: activated carbon Nov 1, 2008
                  6:19 pm

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shadlejim" <maddog12@...> wrote:

                  > can I reuse the activated carbon after filtering?

                  Yes, with a lot of effort to clean/dry it before doing so. It's
                  cheaper (and less mess) in the long run to just mulch it for your
                  garden, and use new carbon for your hooch.

                  Re: [new_distillers] activated carbon  Nov 2, 2008
                  5:49 am

                  Maddog,

                  Of course you can and a lot easier than washing/preparing new carbon everytime you need it.

                  I throw the carbon in with my neutral spirit in the jug and leave it for abount a week to clean the product.  When I am done, I remove the carbon, spread it on newspaper to let the product drain out and then throw it into a bucket/pot of hot water to displace any remaining product.  When it cools a bit, stir it with your hand and rinse a couple of times with warm water.  Finally, drain off as much water as you can and spread out on newspaper for a few days (If you leave it in the Sun, even better).

                  New carbon has to be treated and washed so the dust does not get into your product.  This process can be used over and over.

                  Regards,

                  Bwyze

                  Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade, 0.4-0.85mm
                  Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade, 0.4-0.85mm
                  by Gert Strand AB

                  Best Seller
                  Distillery Grade Activated Stone Carbon- 0.4-0.85mm- 1.7L
                  $9.69
                  Add Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade, 0.4-0.85mm to Cart
                   Activated Stone Carbon- Premium Grade, 0.4-0.85mm
                  Activated Stone Carbon- Premium Grade, 0.4-0.85mm
                  by Brewhaus

                  Premium Grade Activated Stone Carbon- 0.4-0.85mm- 1.7L
                  $5.49
                  Add Activated Stone Carbon- Premium Grade, 0.4-0.85mm to Cart
                   Activated Stone Carbon, 0.4-1.4mm
                  Activated Stone Carbon, 0.4-1.4mm
                  by Gert Strand AB

                  Distillery Grade Activated Stone Carbon- 0.4-1.4mm- 1.7L
                  $10.95
                  Add Activated Stone Carbon, 0.4-1.4mm to Cart
                  Peat Carbon
                  Peat Carbon

                  Activated Carbon from Peat- 1.7L
                  $6.99
                  Add Peat Carbon to Cart
                   Activated Wood Carbon- 1.7L
                  Activated Wood Carbon- 1.7L
                  by Gert Strand AB

                  Standard Grade Activated Wood Carbon, 0.25-1mm, 1.7L
                  $4.99
                  Add Activated Wood Carbon- 1.7L to Cart
                   Bulk- Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade- 0.4-0.85mm- 27.5lbs
                  Bulk- Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade- 0.4-0.85mm- 27.5lbs
                  by Gert Strand AB

                  Best Seller
                  Distillery Grade Activated Stone Carbon- 0.4-0.85mm- 27.5lb
                  $124.95
                  Add Bulk- Activated Stone Carbon- Distillery Grade- 0.4-0.85mm- 27.5lbs to Cart

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <km_services@...> wrote:

                  > JB,
                  >
                  > Activated Carbon here in NZ is cheap about $7.00 to treat about 10 litres of
                  > 50%ABV. To clean and dry the used carbon is time consuming and with electric
                  > power to dry in an oven etc makes it not worth while in my opinion so I
                  > just throw mine out after use (takes about 195gram of carbon to fill my Z
                  > filter). I buy a kilo for $29.00
                  >
                  > Go to my file http://tinyurl.com/cv3mwa and read at the end of "running a
                  > reflux still" and "filter" to see how I use carbon
                  >

                  > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                • Jan Ooms
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 17, 2010

                    Hi, Everybody seem to be paying way to much for their carbon. I source for some off-shore clients of mine.
                    Last december I purchased a 25 kg bag of activated carbon, washed and ph neutral for approx AUD$ 150.00 dollars. Used extensively in the distilling industry.
                    We must be lucky in Australia or I must have the right contacts.
                    Best Regards,
                    Jan.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 17, 2010
                      Definitely the right contact!!!

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Ooms" <jkooms@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Everybody seem to be paying way to much for their carbon. I source for some off-shore clients of mine.
                      > Last december I purchased a 25 kg bag of activated carbon, washed and ph neutral for approx AUD$ 150.00 dollars. Used extensively in the distilling industry.
                      > We must be lucky in Australia or I must have the right contacts.
                      > Best Regards,
                      > Jan.

                    • Ed Barcik
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 18, 2010

                        A little off topic here but something I've noticed about the carbon since there were some posts suggesting carbon be added to the wash as a preliminary cleaning step. I've done that over the past year and noticed when very near the end of the fermentation process, if I add about 6-8 oz. of carbon, it really does a nice job of degassing the wash and in addition the benefit of a little cleaner stripping run. I also add it to the stripped wine and let it sit prior to doing a spirit run, kind of an amazing product.

                      • running_with_rum39
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 18, 2010
                          Darn NZ'nders opps sorry I mean Ozzy's, you and your cheap carbon and warm weather!!