What to do with 1 1/2 gal of tails

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year. They are
      taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something with them
      other then pouring them down the drain.

      Any suggestions???

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

        > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year. They
        are
        > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something with
        them
        > other then pouring them down the drain.
        >
        > Any suggestions???
        >
        > The best for last
        > BILL1BURP

        It make great ant & weedkiller. :)

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.

          Bill1burp

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
          > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year.
          They
          > are
          > > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something
          with
          > them
          > > other then pouring them down the drain.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions???
          > >
          > > The best for last
          > > BILL1BURP
          > >

          > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
            <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

            > The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.
            >
            > Bill1burp
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
            > > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have collected about 1 1/2 gallons of tails this past year.
            > They
            > > are
            > > > taking up space in my pantry and I would like to do something
            > with
            > > them
            > > > other then pouring them down the drain.
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions???
            > > >
            > > > The best for last
            > > > BILL1BURP
            > > >

            > > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
            > >
            > > Slainte!
            > > regards Harry

            For a while there I was saving Heads and Tails in a jug Marked
            Feints. After I had built up almost 3 gallons I decided to attempt to
            Reflux them into Something Drinkable. The Run yielded a gallon of 92%
            and I think I pulled off a good quart of heads. I stopped the Still
            at 175F and Dumped the rest out of the boiler. Yes on an Ant Bed.
            Although the stuff never gave me a headache or made me feel ill it did
            not have even a remotely "neutral" taste even after several days of
            aging and some aeration. I still have it aging in a dark corner and I
            recently took the advice of aging it with the cap off and a piece of
            felt rubber banded on top. We will have to see if that helps it. I
            can say that I wont be bothering with the Tails anymore though. Not
            worth the effort to recover that so called usable Alcohol. Just my 2
            pennies.

            Mason
          • castillo.alex2008
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
              Hi

              I always recycle my heads and tails in the new spirits run, but once
              I did the unthinkable, oak age a mixture of heads and tails, they
              were at 75% ABV and after one month well, was somehow drinkable, not
              smooth of course. I now added more oak and is still aging, just for
              the sake of experimentation or for neighbors dying for at least a
              shot of hooch no matters what quality it is.

              A!

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
              > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.
              > >
              > > Bill1burp
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

              > > They
              > > > are
              > > with
              > > > them

              > > > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
              > > >
              > > > Slainte!
              > > > regards Harry
              >
              > For a while there I was saving Heads and Tails in a jug Marked
              > Feints. After I had built up almost 3 gallons I decided to attempt
              > Reflux them into Something Drinkable. The Run yielded a gallon of
              92%
              > and I think I pulled off a good quart of heads. I stopped the Still
              > at 175F and Dumped the rest out of the boiler. Yes on an Ant Bed.
              > Although the stuff never gave me a headache or made me feel ill it
              did
              > not have even a remotely "neutral" taste even after several days of
              > aging and some aeration. I still have it aging in a dark corner
              and I
              > recently took the advice of aging it with the cap off and a piece of
              > felt rubber banded on top. We will have to see if that helps it. I
              > can say that I wont be bothering with the Tails anymore though. Not
              > worth the effort to recover that so called usable Alcohol. Just my 2
              > pennies.
              >
              > Mason

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
                Hi   been reading posts about feints.I like the rest of you have tried to get something worth drinking out of feints.With a grain mash i have good results with feints using a detuned reflux pda-1 type column.With a sugar wash , i can't get a quality product,so i don't save them in large quantity.I pour them into the next stripping run "on sugar washes only"
                  later    Tim

                --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@ ...>