Re: Rum Dunder vs. Whiskey Backset during spirits run

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
      <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Thanks Harry and Wal for your answers, as always very complete
      > and "educational", just a few more questions:
      >
      > 1. Indeed, using dunder for spirits run gives an excellent sweet
      > aroma to the final product. I´m doing approximately as follows:
      > dunder: 1 gallon; water: 1 gallon; stripped: 02 gallons; feints and
      > head: around 1 gallon. The question is, must/could the water be
      > substituted by dunder?

      ..........Yes, if you have enough on hand. But be sure to keep the
      overall strength of the spirits still charge at around 27% a/v (may
      require water to dilute). And let it sit overnight to get the
      hydroseparation, then remove the top layer and charge it to the still.

      > 2. For the Scotch I´m after I have only one unsolved problem:
      peat.
      > Someone suggested to add 1-2 pounds of unmashed peated malt to the
      > fermenter, will it do the trick?

      .........It will help, & so will a splash (20ml) of cream sherry in
      each 700ml bottle of finished product (last thing you add).

      Even someone else suggested to use
      > your Peatreek essence, but I found it difficult to get, specially
      > ´cause I don´t fully understand what peat is and how to get it.

      ..........Peat is decayed plant matter. Get it at any gardening
      supplies. Make sure it is the pure kind, not full of fertilizers.

      > 3. In a recent message addressed to me (Distillers # 43629) you
      > wrote:
      >
      > "Rum is barrelled at 85% a/v and reduces to 68% a/v over 4 years in
      > tropical climate (volume loss unknown). Scotch whisky is barrelled
      > at 78% a/v and loses an average of 2% of LIQUID VOLUME, not
      > strength, per year, in a cold wet climate."
      >
      > I´m now aging 4 liters of rum (two liters per gallon jug) at 83%
      and
      > 80% ABV respectively, but I´m noticing that somehow this aging is
      > going slower than the ones I use to place at around 60% or 38% ABV.
      > Also I perceive less aroma or "bouquet"; is this normal?

      .........Sure is. Remember this is what is done for COMMERCIAL rums,
      which are aged at these high strengths to minimise barrelling
      requirements (barrels & storage space cost MONEY!). The bouquet
      becomes more prominent once it is reduced to bottling strength.

      Am I
      > going/doing ok? I tend to age for at least one month, leaving
      plenty
      > space for oxygen and "swirling" the hooch almost everyday to make
      it
      > mix with oxygen from the environment. I want to stay, at least by
      > now, attached to the old school of "aging naturally" without adding
      > air/ozone or other tricks, just this is in "fashion" these days
      > around here, after Barceló distillery was bought by our local
      Brewery
      > CND. Should/must I follow your quotation for whisky/ey aging % ABV?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > A!

      ..........You don't HAVE to follow what I said. I only give
      guidelines on what the big boys are doing. The maturation/aging
      process is something that we hobbyists have a free hand to experiment
      with. As for how long to age....try this: Out of each batch you
      make, put one bottle aside with the oak still in it. Label it with
      the date, mash ingredients, etc. If possible, leave them stored
      (buried?) somewhere and sample them in about a year or two, comparing
      them side-by-side tastewise to your latest batch. You'll be
      pleasantly surprised at the difference time can make. They will be
      very different to your "aged 5 minutes" hooch.