Re: chestnuts grappa

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
      You will need enzymes of course - from malted grain or commercial to
      convert the starch to sugars. Apparently in Corsica they make an 'eau-
      de-vie de chataigne' (acquavite di castagna?)
      wal

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
      <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

      > Ciao a tutti.
      >
      > Thank you, Wal.
      >
      > micio felice
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Chestnuts are high in carbohydrates and low in fat so can be
      > > fermented - 'flour from trees' for the Italian rural poor (once).
      > > Carob beans are used in Lebanon to make raki.
      > > http://www.scielo.br/pdf/babt/v49n2/28582.pdf
      > > wal
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
      > > <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ciao a tutti.
      > > >
      > > > A friend of mine asked me if it's possible to get some spirit
      > (not
      > > > grappa because this name belong only to the spirit distilled by
      > > using
      > > > grape pomaces)from chestnuts.
      > > >
      > > > In my opinion yes, it's possible, but ... how to get?
      > > >
      > > > Please, my friend (and me) aren't used to use a lot
      of "strange"
      > > > chemical things, the maximum we want to use is yeast and sugar,
      > if
      > > > any: we prefer to lose something but not to add other things.
      > > >
      > > > My friend prefer to be simple, to work simple, to use simple
      > things.
      > > >
      > > > So, is there any friend that can help us?
      > > >
      > > > Ciao a tutti.
      > > >

      > > > micio felice

    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
        Ciao a tutti.

        I read - I don't remember where - that boiling chestnuts is getting
        the result to convert (partially) the starch to sugars.

        Is it true?

        ciao

        micio felice

        > You will need enzymes of course - from malted grain or commercial
        > convert the starch to sugars. Apparently in Corsica they make
        an 'eau-
        > de-vie de chataigne' (acquavite di castagna?)
        > wal
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
        > <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ciao a tutti.
        > >
        > > Thank you, Wal.
        > >
        > > micio felice
        > >

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Chestnuts are high in carbohydrates and low in fat so can be
        > > > fermented - 'flour from trees' for the Italian rural poor
        (once).
        > > > Carob beans are used in Lebanon to make raki.
        > > > http://www.scielo.br/pdf/babt/v49n2/28582.pdf
        > > > wal
        > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"

        > > (not
        > > > using

        > of "strange"
        > > if

        > > things.

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
          Apparently not, although, "A part of starch changes into sugars
          during storage."

          Chestnut Starch
          http://www.scielo.br/pdf/babt/v44n1/a10v44n1.pdf

          Carob beans (carruba - Ceratonia siliqua) are boiled to extract thier
          sugars. Grown in Silicily.

          <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

          > Ciao a tutti.
          >
          > I read - I don't remember where - that boiling chestnuts is getting
          > the result to convert (partially) the starch to sugars.
          >
          > Is it true?
          >
          > ciao
          >
          > micio felice
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
          > >
          > > You will need enzymes of course - from malted grain or commercial
          > > convert the starch to sugars. Apparently in Corsica they make
          > an 'eau-
          > > de-vie de chataigne' (acquavite di castagna?)
          > > wal
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
          > > <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Ciao a tutti.
          > > >
          > > > Thank you, Wal.
          > > >
          > > > micio felice
          > > >

          > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@>

          > (once).

          > > > (not
          > by

          > > of "strange"
          > sugar,
          > > > if

          > > > things.

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
            In China and Japan chestnuts are fermented with rice using a natural
            yeast-fungal starter. The fungus provides the enzymes.
            wal