Re: [new_distillers] forshots

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2002
      Sure- Lemme 'splain:
      After reading the "double distilling for whiskey, etc" section on Tony's site
      (homedistiller.org), I found by trial and error the flavor on "double run"
      whiskey wasn't as good as single run whiskey (although I got less whiskey
      doing it that way- tighter middle cut). Instead of running my still twice, I
      now use the technique that was/is used to make apple jack. I take my 5
      gallon batch of mash/wine, and I fill 10, one gallon milk jugs half-full (one
      half gallon being 2 quarts) of the liquid. I then put these jugs into the
      freezer for two or three days, until they freeze into a solid block of ice.
      I then set the jugs upside down on a one quart canning jar. The alcohol will
      drip out as the ice melts (don't add any heat- let it go at it's own pace).
      When the one quart jar is full, I put the liquid (in the jar) into my carboy
      to let the yeast, etc settle out overnight. The block of ice in the jug is
      washed down the drain with hot water- there is no alcohol in it. Since the
      alcohol melts faster than the water, it tends to come out first- so instead
      of 5 gallons of 7-10% mash/wine, I now have 2.5 gallons of 17-20% mash/wine.
      It takes no real effort on my part, but gives the same results as a beer
      stripping run, roughly doubling the alcohol content by cutting the volume in
      half. It doesn't stale the flavor like distilling can do at all, quite the
      contrary, it makes it stronger- this same method is used by some winemakers
      to make fortified wines at home (like port, sherry, etc.), without using
      distilled spirits. By cutting the volume in half, and doing it by freezing,
      not distilling, the flavor is preserved a little better, but the alcohol is
      high enough that a spirit run can be done. It typically takes one to four
      hours for the quart jars to fill up- it depends on the starting alcohol
      content- the lower it was at the start the longer it takes to melt out. It
      saves a lot of time for me, since I have a lot of freezer space. When I make
      my malt whiskey, it used to always foam over in the still- by freezing it
      like this, then diluting the mash back to 5 gallons with water when I put it
      in the still- the starches causing my foaming problem have been diluted to
      the point that they can't lace together and foam up in the still. In the
      potstill, it just saves me 4 hours of work on an extra run. While the stuff
      is melting, I check my e-mail, work out, read, or whatever I feel like doing
      that I can't do when running a still, because that requires all my attention.
      Does this help?