Re: help

  • cornfed62
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 2 10:53 PM
      but on second thought. If this is research for a science chemistry
      lab exercise, you are asking the questions in the wrong way.

      The laboratory technique for distillation isnt out of bounds for a
      high school science course. I suggest asking your science teacher to
      show you around. Extra credit work could only help you learn more.

      If this is to learn how to make alcoholic beverages... Sorry son. I
      want to see you live to an age when you can purchase your own drink
      in a bar legally. *file this away for 20 years* You will appreciate
      knowing that adults held back on information when you have children
      that are about your age right now.

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "cornfed62" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
      > I remember being 16.
      _____________ SNIP _________________
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 3 7:07 AM
        Hello Travis,
        by now you will have read all the various opinions about giving you some help
        with the distilling project. I am not going to judge, here, about what
        should be done or should not be done.
        Please understand that we are involved in what in most countries is an
        illegal activity. Providing instruction to a minor only worsens the
        situation.
        But....there is nothing wrong with you consulting Tony Ackland privately.
        You can ask him any question you want, as long as you do it off-list, i.e.
        personally and directly to Tony at his own web address
        (ackland@...).
        That is probably the best way to handle this. Similarly, if you want to
        inquire about something else from another lister, approach him or her
        directly, off-list. Some of us may not want to respond even then. Don't
        fault them for that - this is a tricky topic.
        All the best,
        John V

        country_420 wrote:

        > if anyone out there would like to "take me under their wing" and get
        > me started that would be great. im very intwerested but ive been
        > unable to find any websites or resources at my comprehension and
        > expierience level. im lookin for someone who will give me tips,
        > pointers, hints, places to look, books to read, and start simple,
        > because i dont know anything. if you have any of the info i asked
        > about, please contact me at tcoward_99@..., id really
        > appreciate it.
        >
        > Travis

      • willy hamlin
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
          hello
          i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!! so all the help i can get would be great.
          thanks
          willy

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, willy hamlin
            <willy_hamlin@y...> wrote:
            > hello
            > i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux
            still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in
            or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!!
            so all the help i can get would be great.

            thanks

            willy

            Hi Willy,
            See msg# 10298 or look in files for F.A.Q.
            That'll get you started. Make sure you visit Tony's site. The link
            is in the file.

          • wombat_831
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 12, 2008
              my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
              through it wont drop what do i do
            • Larry Collins
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:

                >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                >through it wont drop what do i do

                Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts coming out
                of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's alcohol that
                you're distilling.

                Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.

                Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling point
                of whatever it's being produced from.

                You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                temperature than the steam coming in contact.

                If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to 79.8C,
                very little condensation is going to happen.

                Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal operating
                temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.

                The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C, and as
                they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to boil.
                That's about 80C.

                Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol in the
                wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil. When it
                starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need to be
                keeping an eye on it.

                Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and collect
                into another separate container to be added to your next wash after fermenting.

                Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general and your
                81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with altitude
                above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or it's
                placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be as
                outlined in a book or web page.
              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                  My still head temperature is 78.2C (after it has stabilized)
                  throughout the whole run. If it goes above that you are not getting
                  pure ethanol anymore.

                  Cheers, Riku

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...>
                  wrote:

                  > At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                  > >through it wont drop what do i do
                  >
                  > Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts
                  coming out
                  > of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's
                  alcohol that
                  > you're distilling.
                  >
                  > Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.
                  >
                  > Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling
                  point
                  > of whatever it's being produced from.
                  >
                  > You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                  > temperature than the steam coming in contact.
                  >
                  > If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to
                  79.8C,
                  > very little condensation is going to happen.
                  >
                  > Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal
                  operating
                  > temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.
                  >
                  > The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C,
                  and as
                  > they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to
                  boil.
                  > That's about 80C.
                  >
                  > Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol
                  in the
                  > wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil.
                  When it
                  > starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need
                  to be
                  > keeping an eye on it.
                  >
                  > Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and
                  collect
                  > into another separate container to be added to your next wash after
                  fermenting.

                  > Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general
                  and your
                  > 81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with
                  altitude
                  > above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or
                  it's
                  > placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be
                  as
                  > outlined in a book or web page.

                • David Reed
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                    Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Reed <david.reed93@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                      It doesn't matter how cold you run the condenser. The purpose of a
                      condenser is to extract enough heat from vapour to change it to
                      liquid. This can be done with as little as 10°C difference between
                      the vapour and the coolant (Read up on condensers & phase change
                      theory).

                      The temp of the vapours at the top of the column is a direct result
                      (the boiling point) of that particular mix of substances (alcohol,
                      water & other things like impurities).

                      At 81°C, you're above 90% ethanol purity. If you want to try for
                      higher purity, slow down the heat input. This will allow the column
                      to do its separation thing properly for that particular design
                      (parameters of height, width, packing). Overdriving a column will
                      only reduce the purity of the ethanol spirit (sometimes desirable
                      when making brown end-products).

                      The column is where its all at. Heat input must be balanced for
                      that column to allow it to work to its full efficiency.

                    • lindsey_lucky
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford"
                        <tipitina@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > I wouldn't normally post a "me too" but I agree with Brian here.
                        In the UK the legal age for drinking outside the home is 18. The
                        usual way for an adolescent / teenager to become accustomed to
                        alcohol is by a gentle introduction via a glass of wine with Sunday
                        lunch or a pint of lager (usually bought by an older friend) at the
                        pub. To jump in at the deep end with distilling at the age of 16 is
                        misguided, or as Brian says...a cop, (albeit a not very subtle one)
                        deliberately baiting the present incumbents.
                        > Have nothing to do with him until he can explain himself
                        adequately.

                        > Brian B.

                        break any laws,,,my first still was made when I was 9 years old, it
                        blew the top of the building off and none of us were hurt, we had
                        left the still running, no pressure relief valve,,,if a minor or some
                        one not so wise had gave us a little assittance that would never have
                        happenned, any time you COOK - OFF any thing water mash ect, be
                        extremly careful, anybody should read as much as possible, so as not
                        to get hurt or hurt a bystander,, by the way , the roof landed across
                        the street BLOCKING THE FIRE ENGINE FROM GETTING OUT TO PUT FIRE OUT!

                        they figure that the chicken doo doo caused the explosion but the
                        chief told me and my buddies different...
                      • jason
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                          hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                          somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                          for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                            ...Replies inline...

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <jasoncpgriffiths@...>
                            wrote:

                            > hello all i am new to this.

                            ...Yep, this is new_distillers

                            if i make a reflux still will it make
                            > somthing that you can drink ?

                            ...Of course not! We only make reflux stills to alleviate the
                            boredom & lighten our wallets. :^)

                            will it be safe.

                            ...Will what be safe? The booze? or the process? or the legality?

                            i make beer & wine have
                            > for years so the mash is no prob.

                            ...Then you will at some stage have bumped into info about your above
                            questions, no? If not start here...
                            http://tinyurl.com/6fs5j6

                            thanks for your input

                            ...My pleasure. Had some time to kill on silly stuff.

                          • tgfoitwoods
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 13, 2008
                              Hi Jason, and welcome aboard.

                              At the risk of sounding repetitive (to others on the list,
                              *not* you), it all depends on what you want to drink. Reflux
                              still are at their very best producing high-ABV (~95%) vodka.
                              If that's what you like and you'll flavor it with packets of
                              essences (commercially available) the reflux still is for you.

                              If, on the other hand, you want to make liquors that come out
                              of the still with characteristic flavors, like whisk(e)ys,
                              brandies, rums, eaux de vie, and exotics like grappa, a potstill
                              is more appropriate.

                              True, you can make vodka with a potstill and whisk(e)y with a
                              reflux still, and maybe you can train chickens to pull a plow,
                              but as far as appropriate technology goes, it's reflux for
                              vodka and potstill for everything else.

                              Just an opinion, of course.

                              I just hope you have as much fun stillin' as I do.

                              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller.

                              wrote:

                              > hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                              > somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                              > for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input

                            • ttuckey
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                stuff.
                              • rye_junkie1
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@...> wrote:

                                  > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                  > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                  > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                  > stuff.

                                  I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                  Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                  and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                  more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                  of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                  Vodka ones.
                                  As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                  product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                  start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                  Mason
                                • Peers Cawley
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                    Hya,

                                    Yep – I use glycerine for liqueurs all the time ..

                                    I use a carbon filter on my sugar washes and produce a strong neat spirit to macerate or fortify a strong dessert wine.

                                    I add sugar syrup to required sweetness and at the final stage add the glycerine if I feel the liqueur will benefit from it.

                                    It can’t smooth a rough drink – it will refine and give texture / body to an already good flavour.

                                    I would only use it in vodka very sparingly.

                                    Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                    Cheers from Peers

                                    > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                    > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                    > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                    > stuff.

                                    I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                    Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                    and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                    more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                    of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                    Vodka ones.
                                    As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                    product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                    start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                    Mason

                                  • KM Services
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                      I used to use glycerine for the likes of whiskey etc…stuff you tend to drink straight or on the rocks…but have been using a commercial spirit finisher which is a powder available here in NZ that you add at the rate of 1 teaspoon per litre to filtered spirit. What both of these products do is to give your spirit “mouth feel” and smooth the spirit. As Mason has said glycerine can if too much is added ( around 5 – 10ml per litre is best) give a sweet oily feel where the finisher achieves the smoothening and mouth fell without the sweet oiliness  in my experience. If you read up on vodka essences they are really not flavouring but smoothening agents, but in saying that there is a range here which have flavours added like lemon etc.

                                      Cheers

                                      Ken Mc

                                    • Peers Cawley
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                        Oops :-} typo error there should have said 1 – 2 tsp per 750ml bottle

                                        Sorry

                                        Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                        Cheers from Peers

                                      • gff_stwrt
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                          Hi, Mason, hi folks,

                                          Mason, maybe you used a bit much glycerin?

                                          I have little experience in this, but I have a feeling that (unless
                                          it is intended to be a major highlight of the product), anything you
                                          add to a food or drink should be in such a small quantity that you
                                          can identify an overall improvement but you can barely, if at all,
                                          identify what it was you added.

                                          My tuppence worth,

                                          Regards,

                                          The Baker

                                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and
                                          when
                                          > > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth
                                          out
                                          > > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                          > > stuff.
                                          > >

                                          > I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                          > Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze
                                          sweet
                                          > and oily.

                                          snip

                                          > Mason

                                        • bigdaddyg851
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                            i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                            thank you!
                                          • Kevin Healey
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                              If your in the States, try Ebay. There are small sections occasionally on there. Look into stainless as well. I picked up 2" stainless dairy tube for $6.00 a foot. they also had 3" for around $10.00. I forget the name but they should still be on ebay. Just do a search for stainless tubing or pipe. The same applies for the copper.
                                              Good luck,
                                              Kevin

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                Calling around and asking plumbers or plumbing supply stores is probably your best bet.

                                                See if they know of any copper scrap places or have pieces in their shops.

                                                Vino es Veritas,

                                                Jim aka Waldo.

                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                                                > i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                                > thank you!

                                              • tim cheek
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                  Try Ebay, I found two 2" x 3' peices very reasonable.
                                                  Search copper pipe/tubing