Re: help

  • cornfed62
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 2, 2002
      I remember being 16.

      I am still thankful that I could only score an occasional pint
      of "hard" liquor. Because I had to drink -everything- that I -did-
      get before I got home. I dont want to be a contributer to a 16 year
      old having a close encounter with alcohol poisoning. Where does a 16
      year old set up a still where his parents dont find it? Where is the
      fermentation done? I doubt he has his own apartment. That would also
      mean that the drinking is done while in motion in a automobile. And
      then there is the probability that other 16 year olds will be in the
      car also while it is being consumed. Bad thoughts all around.
      Especially if it involves the injury of someone else entirely.

      The bad press from helping a minor develop his own apparatus is not
      what is needed to persuade legislatures to change home distilling
      laws.

      Especially if the revelation hits the press after a spectacular
      drunken car crash involving injuries or death with a underage drinker
      and the investigation reveals a bookmark for this site and Tony's on
      his home computer.

      ps. Doesnt matter if you're a cop. After a serous personal injury
      or fatality accident they investgate -everything-. The first
      question with an underage drunk driver is "where did you get the
      booze". Then they start looking. The accident was the probable cause
      to get the search warrant to look at everything inside your house. If
      the criminal jury doesnt convict, then there is also the civil
      courts.

      Just venting some of my thoughts here. This isnt a personal slam
      against youth. I just would prefer you grow up to pay social
      security taxes to support me in my old age. hehehe

      --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
      > I'm with you- knowingly helping a minor to drink is probably a
      felony in the
      > US- I'll lend NO assistance.
    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 2, 2002
        but on second thought. If this is research for a science chemistry
        lab exercise, you are asking the questions in the wrong way.

        The laboratory technique for distillation isnt out of bounds for a
        high school science course. I suggest asking your science teacher to
        show you around. Extra credit work could only help you learn more.

        If this is to learn how to make alcoholic beverages... Sorry son. I
        want to see you live to an age when you can purchase your own drink
        in a bar legally. *file this away for 20 years* You will appreciate
        knowing that adults held back on information when you have children
        that are about your age right now.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "cornfed62" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
        > I remember being 16.
        _____________ SNIP _________________
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 3, 2002
          Hello Travis,
          by now you will have read all the various opinions about giving you some help
          with the distilling project. I am not going to judge, here, about what
          should be done or should not be done.
          Please understand that we are involved in what in most countries is an
          illegal activity. Providing instruction to a minor only worsens the
          situation.
          But....there is nothing wrong with you consulting Tony Ackland privately.
          You can ask him any question you want, as long as you do it off-list, i.e.
          personally and directly to Tony at his own web address
          (ackland@...).
          That is probably the best way to handle this. Similarly, if you want to
          inquire about something else from another lister, approach him or her
          directly, off-list. Some of us may not want to respond even then. Don't
          fault them for that - this is a tricky topic.
          All the best,
          John V

          country_420 wrote:

          > if anyone out there would like to "take me under their wing" and get
          > me started that would be great. im very intwerested but ive been
          > unable to find any websites or resources at my comprehension and
          > expierience level. im lookin for someone who will give me tips,
          > pointers, hints, places to look, books to read, and start simple,
          > because i dont know anything. if you have any of the info i asked
          > about, please contact me at tcoward_99@..., id really
          > appreciate it.
          >
          > Travis

        • willy hamlin
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
            hello
            i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!! so all the help i can get would be great.
            thanks
            willy

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, willy hamlin
              <willy_hamlin@y...> wrote:
              > hello
              > i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux
              still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in
              or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!!
              so all the help i can get would be great.

              thanks

              willy

              Hi Willy,
              See msg# 10298 or look in files for F.A.Q.
              That'll get you started. Make sure you visit Tony's site. The link
              is in the file.

            • wombat_831
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 12, 2008
                my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                through it wont drop what do i do
              • Larry Collins
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                  At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:

                  >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                  >through it wont drop what do i do

                  Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts coming out
                  of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's alcohol that
                  you're distilling.

                  Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.

                  Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling point
                  of whatever it's being produced from.

                  You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                  temperature than the steam coming in contact.

                  If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to 79.8C,
                  very little condensation is going to happen.

                  Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal operating
                  temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.

                  The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C, and as
                  they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to boil.
                  That's about 80C.

                  Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol in the
                  wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil. When it
                  starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need to be
                  keeping an eye on it.

                  Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and collect
                  into another separate container to be added to your next wash after fermenting.

                  Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general and your
                  81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with altitude
                  above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or it's
                  placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be as
                  outlined in a book or web page.
                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                    My still head temperature is 78.2C (after it has stabilized)
                    throughout the whole run. If it goes above that you are not getting
                    pure ethanol anymore.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...>
                    wrote:

                    > At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                    > >through it wont drop what do i do
                    >
                    > Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts
                    coming out
                    > of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's
                    alcohol that
                    > you're distilling.
                    >
                    > Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.
                    >
                    > Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling
                    point
                    > of whatever it's being produced from.
                    >
                    > You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                    > temperature than the steam coming in contact.
                    >
                    > If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to
                    79.8C,
                    > very little condensation is going to happen.
                    >
                    > Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal
                    operating
                    > temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.
                    >
                    > The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C,
                    and as
                    > they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to
                    boil.
                    > That's about 80C.
                    >
                    > Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol
                    in the
                    > wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil.
                    When it
                    > starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need
                    to be
                    > keeping an eye on it.
                    >
                    > Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and
                    collect
                    > into another separate container to be added to your next wash after
                    fermenting.

                    > Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general
                    and your
                    > 81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with
                    altitude
                    > above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or
                    it's
                    > placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be
                    as
                    > outlined in a book or web page.

                  • David Reed
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                      Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Reed <david.reed93@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                        It doesn't matter how cold you run the condenser. The purpose of a
                        condenser is to extract enough heat from vapour to change it to
                        liquid. This can be done with as little as 10°C difference between
                        the vapour and the coolant (Read up on condensers & phase change
                        theory).

                        The temp of the vapours at the top of the column is a direct result
                        (the boiling point) of that particular mix of substances (alcohol,
                        water & other things like impurities).

                        At 81°C, you're above 90% ethanol purity. If you want to try for
                        higher purity, slow down the heat input. This will allow the column
                        to do its separation thing properly for that particular design
                        (parameters of height, width, packing). Overdriving a column will
                        only reduce the purity of the ethanol spirit (sometimes desirable
                        when making brown end-products).

                        The column is where its all at. Heat input must be balanced for
                        that column to allow it to work to its full efficiency.

                      • lindsey_lucky
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford"
                          <tipitina@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I wouldn't normally post a "me too" but I agree with Brian here.
                          In the UK the legal age for drinking outside the home is 18. The
                          usual way for an adolescent / teenager to become accustomed to
                          alcohol is by a gentle introduction via a glass of wine with Sunday
                          lunch or a pint of lager (usually bought by an older friend) at the
                          pub. To jump in at the deep end with distilling at the age of 16 is
                          misguided, or as Brian says...a cop, (albeit a not very subtle one)
                          deliberately baiting the present incumbents.
                          > Have nothing to do with him until he can explain himself
                          adequately.

                          > Brian B.

                          break any laws,,,my first still was made when I was 9 years old, it
                          blew the top of the building off and none of us were hurt, we had
                          left the still running, no pressure relief valve,,,if a minor or some
                          one not so wise had gave us a little assittance that would never have
                          happenned, any time you COOK - OFF any thing water mash ect, be
                          extremly careful, anybody should read as much as possible, so as not
                          to get hurt or hurt a bystander,, by the way , the roof landed across
                          the street BLOCKING THE FIRE ENGINE FROM GETTING OUT TO PUT FIRE OUT!

                          they figure that the chicken doo doo caused the explosion but the
                          chief told me and my buddies different...
                        • jason
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                            hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                            somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                            for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                              ...Replies inline...

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <jasoncpgriffiths@...>
                              wrote:

                              > hello all i am new to this.

                              ...Yep, this is new_distillers

                              if i make a reflux still will it make
                              > somthing that you can drink ?

                              ...Of course not! We only make reflux stills to alleviate the
                              boredom & lighten our wallets. :^)

                              will it be safe.

                              ...Will what be safe? The booze? or the process? or the legality?

                              i make beer & wine have
                              > for years so the mash is no prob.

                              ...Then you will at some stage have bumped into info about your above
                              questions, no? If not start here...
                              http://tinyurl.com/6fs5j6

                              thanks for your input

                              ...My pleasure. Had some time to kill on silly stuff.

                            • tgfoitwoods
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 13, 2008
                                Hi Jason, and welcome aboard.

                                At the risk of sounding repetitive (to others on the list,
                                *not* you), it all depends on what you want to drink. Reflux
                                still are at their very best producing high-ABV (~95%) vodka.
                                If that's what you like and you'll flavor it with packets of
                                essences (commercially available) the reflux still is for you.

                                If, on the other hand, you want to make liquors that come out
                                of the still with characteristic flavors, like whisk(e)ys,
                                brandies, rums, eaux de vie, and exotics like grappa, a potstill
                                is more appropriate.

                                True, you can make vodka with a potstill and whisk(e)y with a
                                reflux still, and maybe you can train chickens to pull a plow,
                                but as far as appropriate technology goes, it's reflux for
                                vodka and potstill for everything else.

                                Just an opinion, of course.

                                I just hope you have as much fun stillin' as I do.

                                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller.

                                wrote:

                                > hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                                > somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                                > for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input

                              • ttuckey
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                  Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                  to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                  the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                  stuff.
                                • rye_junkie1
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@...> wrote:

                                    > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                    > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                    > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                    > stuff.

                                    I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                    Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                    and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                    more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                    of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                    Vodka ones.
                                    As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                    product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                    start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                    Mason
                                  • Peers Cawley
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                      Hya,

                                      Yep – I use glycerine for liqueurs all the time ..

                                      I use a carbon filter on my sugar washes and produce a strong neat spirit to macerate or fortify a strong dessert wine.

                                      I add sugar syrup to required sweetness and at the final stage add the glycerine if I feel the liqueur will benefit from it.

                                      It can’t smooth a rough drink – it will refine and give texture / body to an already good flavour.

                                      I would only use it in vodka very sparingly.

                                      Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                      Cheers from Peers

                                      > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                      > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                      > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                      > stuff.

                                      I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                      Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                      and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                      more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                      of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                      Vodka ones.
                                      As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                      product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                      start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                      Mason

                                    • KM Services
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                        I used to use glycerine for the likes of whiskey etc…stuff you tend to drink straight or on the rocks…but have been using a commercial spirit finisher which is a powder available here in NZ that you add at the rate of 1 teaspoon per litre to filtered spirit. What both of these products do is to give your spirit “mouth feel” and smooth the spirit. As Mason has said glycerine can if too much is added ( around 5 – 10ml per litre is best) give a sweet oily feel where the finisher achieves the smoothening and mouth fell without the sweet oiliness  in my experience. If you read up on vodka essences they are really not flavouring but smoothening agents, but in saying that there is a range here which have flavours added like lemon etc.

                                        Cheers

                                        Ken Mc

                                      • Peers Cawley
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                          Oops :-} typo error there should have said 1 – 2 tsp per 750ml bottle

                                          Sorry

                                          Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                          Cheers from Peers

                                        • gff_stwrt
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                            Hi, Mason, hi folks,

                                            Mason, maybe you used a bit much glycerin?

                                            I have little experience in this, but I have a feeling that (unless
                                            it is intended to be a major highlight of the product), anything you
                                            add to a food or drink should be in such a small quantity that you
                                            can identify an overall improvement but you can barely, if at all,
                                            identify what it was you added.

                                            My tuppence worth,

                                            Regards,

                                            The Baker

                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and
                                            when
                                            > > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth
                                            out
                                            > > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                            > > stuff.
                                            > >

                                            > I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                            > Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze
                                            sweet
                                            > and oily.

                                            snip

                                            > Mason

                                          • bigdaddyg851
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                              i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                              thank you!
                                            • Kevin Healey
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                If your in the States, try Ebay. There are small sections occasionally on there. Look into stainless as well. I picked up 2" stainless dairy tube for $6.00 a foot. they also had 3" for around $10.00. I forget the name but they should still be on ebay. Just do a search for stainless tubing or pipe. The same applies for the copper.
                                                Good luck,
                                                Kevin

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                  Calling around and asking plumbers or plumbing supply stores is probably your best bet.

                                                  See if they know of any copper scrap places or have pieces in their shops.

                                                  Vino es Veritas,

                                                  Jim aka Waldo.

                                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                                                  > i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                                  > thank you!

                                                • tim cheek
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                    Try Ebay, I found two 2" x 3' peices very reasonable.
                                                    Search copper pipe/tubing