Re: [new_distillers] forshots

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
      Ups,

      > If you "freeze
      > concentrate" your wine/mash (or do a "beer stripping run" - I prefer the
      > freezer- less work, fresher flavor), you'll get more "ready to drink spirit"
      > than tails out of the run.

      Would you explain please, how you "freeze concentrate" your wash (temperature,
      time, etc.)? I've never tried this, but maybe I should if it means a fresher
      flavour.

      geoff
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2002
        Sure- Lemme 'splain:
        After reading the "double distilling for whiskey, etc" section on Tony's site
        (homedistiller.org), I found by trial and error the flavor on "double run"
        whiskey wasn't as good as single run whiskey (although I got less whiskey
        doing it that way- tighter middle cut). Instead of running my still twice, I
        now use the technique that was/is used to make apple jack. I take my 5
        gallon batch of mash/wine, and I fill 10, one gallon milk jugs half-full (one
        half gallon being 2 quarts) of the liquid. I then put these jugs into the
        freezer for two or three days, until they freeze into a solid block of ice.
        I then set the jugs upside down on a one quart canning jar. The alcohol will
        drip out as the ice melts (don't add any heat- let it go at it's own pace).
        When the one quart jar is full, I put the liquid (in the jar) into my carboy
        to let the yeast, etc settle out overnight. The block of ice in the jug is
        washed down the drain with hot water- there is no alcohol in it. Since the
        alcohol melts faster than the water, it tends to come out first- so instead
        of 5 gallons of 7-10% mash/wine, I now have 2.5 gallons of 17-20% mash/wine.
        It takes no real effort on my part, but gives the same results as a beer
        stripping run, roughly doubling the alcohol content by cutting the volume in
        half. It doesn't stale the flavor like distilling can do at all, quite the
        contrary, it makes it stronger- this same method is used by some winemakers
        to make fortified wines at home (like port, sherry, etc.), without using
        distilled spirits. By cutting the volume in half, and doing it by freezing,
        not distilling, the flavor is preserved a little better, but the alcohol is
        high enough that a spirit run can be done. It typically takes one to four
        hours for the quart jars to fill up- it depends on the starting alcohol
        content- the lower it was at the start the longer it takes to melt out. It
        saves a lot of time for me, since I have a lot of freezer space. When I make
        my malt whiskey, it used to always foam over in the still- by freezing it
        like this, then diluting the mash back to 5 gallons with water when I put it
        in the still- the starches causing my foaming problem have been diluted to
        the point that they can't lace together and foam up in the still. In the
        potstill, it just saves me 4 hours of work on an extra run. While the stuff
        is melting, I check my e-mail, work out, read, or whatever I feel like doing
        that I can't do when running a still, because that requires all my attention.
        Does this help?