tomato paste mix

  • tim smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hi
      I've been involved in our hobby for a few years now. I thought I'd try a mix of sugar,tomato paste, water & EC-1118 yeast. the water had a Ph of 5.6 to 6. All turned out well. From 23 liters of low wine, i collected 4.5 liters @42%. I tried another mix almost the same except this time  i added a pinch of epsom salts. Things were fermenting nicely and i thought i'd  stir it up a bit. Thats when i discovered that all had turned to slime!! I am assuming that pectin ruined my mix..any thoughts on this??    Tim

    • billy.turf
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        > I've been involved in our hobby for a few years now. I thought I'd
        try a mix of sugar,tomato paste, water & EC-1118 yeast. the water had a
        Ph of 5.6 to 6. All turned out well. From 23 liters of low wine, i
        collected 4.5 liters @42%. I tried another mix almost the same except
        this time  i added a pinch of epsom salts. Things were fermenting
        nicely and i thought i'd  stir it up a bit. Thats when i discovered
        that all had turned to slime!! I am assuming that pectin ruined my
        mix..any thoughts on this??    Tim

        Pectin? That's something found in stone fruit isn't it? I found a
        reference to adding epsom salts here on homedistillers
        http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm
        If they say it's ok then I don't think it had anything to do with your
        slime problem.
        I'm not convinced that the salts or pectin has anything to do with the
        slime keep thinking, there must be some other reason for this anomaly
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
          Tim,

          There is no pectin in epsom salts. It is used for the magnesium
          content, which is a minor mineral requirement. The major minerals yeast
          need are nitrogen (the biggest requirement), potassium and phosphates.
          The nutrient requirements are vitamin B-complex, amino acids and lipids
          - all required for cell growth during the exponential growth phase.

          This is why Mason developed the MUM recipe using plant food and trub.
          Others use DAP along with yeast nutrients to accomplish this.

          Just Tomato paste and a pinch of epsom salts wont hack it unfortunately.
          The slime sounds like a possible infection or something else.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.