double diamond still cap

  • homemade12476
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2008
      i have been thinking of making a double diamond cap for my new pot
      still but dont know if its worth the hassle.i have not found much info
      on them but looking at the way its made it would improve abv due to
      the pressure drop.but i am playing hell finding much about it.
      thanks for any help,chris
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
        <homemade12476@...> wrote:

        > i have been thinking of making a double diamond cap for my new pot
        > still but dont know if its worth the hassle.i have not found much info
        > on them but looking at the way its made it would improve abv due to
        > the pressure drop.but i am playing hell finding much about it.
        > thanks for any help,chris

        Who's forum did you hear about this item? What's a double diamond?
        And who christened the thing?

      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
          Hi Harry,
          Double Dimond used to be a beer sold here in the UK years ago and a
          Double Diamond cap would that be like the beer drinking Andy Capp
          from the newspaper cartoon strip see this link
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Capp
          Geoff

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
          > <homemade12476@> wrote:
          > >
          > > i have been thinking of making a double diamond cap for my new pot
          > > still but dont know if its worth the hassle.i have not found much
          info
          > > on them but looking at the way its made it would improve abv due
          > > the pressure drop.but i am playing hell finding much about it.
          > > thanks for any help,chris
          > >

          > Who's forum did you hear about this item? What's a double
          diamond?
          > And who christened the thing?
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
            <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi Harry,
            > Double Dimond used to be a beer sold here in the UK years ago and a
            > Double Diamond cap would that be like the beer drinking Andy Capp
            > from the newspaper cartoon strip see this link
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Capp
            > Geoff

            > > Who's forum did you hear about this item? What's a double
            > diamond?
            > > And who christened the thing?
            > >

            > > Slainte!
            > > regards Harry

            I am Guessing this.
            http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id44.html

            Mason
          • castillo.alex2008
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
              Hey Harry

              Probably homemade is talking about a still similar to the ones colonel
              wilson of copper moonshine sells, take a look at

              http://tinyurl.com/5xkw7p

              In the other hand Waldo (I mean Jim) and I agreed that his hooch´s
              recipes are not that good, probably not just because he doesn´t have a
              clue, but most probably ´cause he doesn´t have relatives in Jamaica or
              anywhere in the caribbean, LOL.

              Alex
            • Rob Macrobert
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008

                The name comes from the look of the thing (2 diamond shaped chambers stacked) and some of  the local boys around here use them.
                The thought is that constriction entering the chamber, followed by expansion, constriction and expansion, "puifies" the spirit giving a better product. Think minor reflux action.
                I tried one a couple of years ago, and found that  it made no noticeable difference, and was a waste of time. Looks good though..
                Basically, all it supposedly does is allow for a more compact still instead of having a longer upward angled arm (lyne?) on the take off side.

                Cheers,

                Robby Mac

                > i have been thinking of making a double diamond cap for my new pot
                > still but dont know if its worth the hassle.i have not found much info
                > on them but looking at the way its made it would improve abv due to
                > the pressure drop.but i am playing hell finding much about it.
                > thanks for any help,chris

                Who's forum did you hear about this item? What's a double diamond?
                And who christened the thing?

                Be Yourself @ mail.com!
                Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
                Get a Free Account at www.mail.com!
              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
                  A short packed column (30-60cm) and a small reflux condenser with
                  adjustable water flow would be light years ahead of that design. The
                  bonus in that is that you can adjust the strength to your liking. Even
                  an empty column of proper diameter would serve the same purpose, just
                  adjust the height of the column to the purity you want. And if you
                  continue with that empty column thought you'll be reaching the spiral
                  still design pretty soon :)

                  Cheers, Riku

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
                  > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Harry,
                  > > Double Dimond used to be a beer sold here in the UK years ago and a
                  > > Double Diamond cap would that be like the beer drinking Andy Capp
                  > > from the newspaper cartoon strip see this link
                  > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Capp
                  > > Geoff
                  >
                  > > > Who's forum did you hear about this item? What's a double
                  > > diamond?
                  > > > And who christened the thing?
                  > > >

                  > > > Slainte!
                  > > > regards Harry
                  > > >

                  > I am Guessing this.
                  > http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id44.html
                  >
                  > Mason

                • Rob Macrobert
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
                    Riku,
                    Of the guys I know using them, none of them are using liquid cooling, and the rigs they are using look like a version of an air cooled gin still with this add on sitting on top before the spiral take off.
                    Personally, I think a well made DD looks pretty, but I never found them to help.

                    Spiral still?
                    Do you mean an upward spiral instead of a standard column?
                    I can see how there could be some decent reflux, but only until the spiral heated up fully, or am I seeing this wrong?

                    Cheers,
                    Robbie

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
                      It's all about the reflux really. The more the ambiently cooled
                      surface the more the reflux. It's just the matter of introducing
                      enough column/spiral length to allow enough of the reflux to run down
                      while allowing adequate amount of the vapor go up. The length of
                      the "rising" part in relation to power used is the determining
                      factor. Of course you'll have to calculate the column/spiral diameter
                      to match the power and the reflux ratio you want. It's all about the
                      choking point which lies above the 30"/s vaporspeed limit.

                      Cheers, Riku

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Macrobert"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
                        i found it on COPPER MOONSHINE STILLS. com
                        my thought was the pressure change and surface area making a reflux
                        effect.if you look at it the lower diamonds base is large and the
                        top is small.i was even thinking of putting in what i call tables or
                        strainer plates like a column still.this is the 110 gal i was
                        looking at>>>> http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id44.html
                        ttl,chris