Re: Sugar wash

    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 2, 2008

      Side Note:

      The exact link is:  http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

      Various alcohols, by-products and fusel oils are produced, such as:

      • Acetone 56.5C (134F)
      • Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
      • Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
      • Ethanol 78C (172F)
      • 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
      • 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
      • Water 100C (212F)
      • Butanol 116C (241F)
      • Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
      • Furfural 161C (322F)

      There is one big error in this link that says you can get the methanol out from removing the foreshots in the first 100 or so mLs:

      Removing the Methanol

      Be ruthless about tossing the first 50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol (causer of hangovers - small quantities, or blindness - larger quantities). Even though I'm pretty sure I only collect less than 10mL at the methanol stage, I still discard 50mL, just to make sure. No need for penny-pinching when you're making 3L of the stuff, for less than $5. If you're using a potstill, you may need to increase this amount you toss up to 100-200 mL.

      This is not true.  Its mostly the acetone you will remove with the foreshots.  Methanol and Ethanol have such close boiling points that the methanol is equally distributed throughout the distillation.

      This is why its extreamly difficult (and never attempt it) to distill de-natured alcohol (which has been made undrinkable by methanol additives).......

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Garth,
      > You have a range of alcohols produced in a distillation not only
      > ethanol if you go to this link on Tony's site it'll give you a list
      > http://homedistiller.org/ it should bring you right to it
      > Geoff
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Garth" notrealy67@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey guys,
      > >
      > > Is ethanol the only alcohol produced in a sugar wash, that is white
      > > sugar and turbo yeast, or are other unwanted alcohols produced?
      > >
      > > Cheers Garth

    • Louis Bossy
      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2012
        From some practice .
        If up have acess to yeast nutients .then use white sugar .reason is that some brown sugar especially from brazil tends to give the distilate a bitter taste.anything that is properly cleaned like white sugar is beter , just like using ripe clean fruits.
        Louisbossy

        Sent from Samsung Mobile