Re: a question about clearing with" egg whites and egg shells"

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008

      Hey Homes,

      This is an old method of clarifying beers and wines by using the albumen from the egg whites and crushed egg shells that will attract particles in a wash, mash or must, then it sinks into the trub and lees.

      There are many newer forms of clarfying agents out now such as sparkloid, etc. It worked ok on my wines, but I would go with some of the newer forms of clarifiers...  If you want to try it - read up on: http://www.makewine.com/winemaking/finishing/fining

      This is the method they suggest (I also used to crush up the egg shells and add to the mixture.  If you use a whole egg white and shells its qucker and doesn't take 2 weeks to clear):

      Positively charged fining for wine. Works similar to gelatin, removing tannins and some colour. Separate the egg white completely from the yolks. Dosage is 1/5 to 1/2 egg white per 23 litres. Gently beat white with 500 ml of wine and a pinch of salt (aids in solution of the globulin), remove any foam/froth from the surface, then stir immediately into the wine. (Do not beat stiff, just loosen up the white so it will mix into the wine). Wait two weeks and rack. This is the only fining agent used on the great red wines of Burgundy. If using dried albumen use 8 to 15 grams per hectolitre. (Note: 1 Kg of dried albumen ~ = 280 eggs)

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.