Re: Calories

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Guys,
      > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
      (or
      > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
      this)? She
      > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
      Pepsi Max
      > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
      spirits and
      > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      > > > Geoff
      > >
      > > She would be right.
      > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
      > >
      > > Mason
      > > Sorry Dude
      >
      > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
      > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
      > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
      > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
      >
      > Trid
      > -hope you get to keep your batteries

      BTW folks,
      Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
      measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
      needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

      Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
      celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

        Side Note:

        First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

        You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

        First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

        Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

        Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

        So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

        When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

        Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

        So screw the calories and ENJOY...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim  aka Waldo

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
        > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
        > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
        > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
        > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > Geoff

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          I like the way you think.