Re: Calories

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
      > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)?
      She
      > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi
      Max
      > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits
      and
      > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      > > Geoff
      >
      > She would be right.
      > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
      >
      > Mason
      > Sorry Dude

      Hmmm......
      1 shot of Rum = 56 calories.
      Average daily diet = 2000 calories.
      2000 / 56 = 35 shots

      AHA! Liquid Diet! <efg>

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
        > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Guys,
        > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
        (or
        > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
        this)? She
        > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
        Pepsi Max
        > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
        spirits and
        > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > > > Geoff
        > >
        > > She would be right.
        > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
        > >
        > > Mason
        > > Sorry Dude
        >
        > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
        > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
        > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
        > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
        >
        > Trid
        > -hope you get to keep your batteries

        BTW folks,
        Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
        measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
        needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

        Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
        celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

          Side Note:

          First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

          You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

          First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

          Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

          Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

          So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

          When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

          Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

          So screw the calories and ENJOY...

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim  aka Waldo

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
          > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
          > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
          > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
          > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
          > Geoff

        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
            I like the way you think.