Re: Calories

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
      > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
      > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
      > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
      > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      > > Geoff
      >
      > She would be right.
      > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
      >
      > Mason
      > Sorry Dude

      Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
      itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
      have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
      (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.

      Trid
      -hope you get to keep your batteries
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
        > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Guys,
        > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
        > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)?
        She
        > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi
        Max
        > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits
        and
        > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > > Geoff
        >
        > She would be right.
        > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
        >
        > Mason
        > Sorry Dude

        Hmmm......
        1 shot of Rum = 56 calories.
        Average daily diet = 2000 calories.
        2000 / 56 = 35 shots

        AHA! Liquid Diet! <efg>

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
          > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Guys,
          > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
          (or
          > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
          this)? She
          > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
          Pepsi Max
          > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
          spirits and
          > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
          > > > Geoff
          > >
          > > She would be right.
          > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
          > >
          > > Mason
          > > Sorry Dude
          >
          > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
          > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
          > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
          > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
          >
          > Trid
          > -hope you get to keep your batteries

          BTW folks,
          Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
          measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
          needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

          Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
          celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

            Side Note:

            First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

            You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

            First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

            Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

            Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

            So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

            When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

            Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

            So screw the calories and ENJOY...

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim  aka Waldo

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys,
            > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
            > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
            > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
            > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
            > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
            > Geoff

          • daddyman00126
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
              I like the way you think.