Re: Calories

  • inspeedway
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Guys,
      > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
      > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
      > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
      > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
      > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      > Geoff

      you are geoff -- keep riding!!! no carbs either
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
        > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Guys,
        > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
        > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
        > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
        > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
        > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > > Geoff
        >
        > She would be right.
        > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
        >
        > Mason
        > Sorry Dude

        Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
        itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
        have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
        (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.

        Trid
        -hope you get to keep your batteries
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
          > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Guys,
          > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
          > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)?
          She
          > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi
          Max
          > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits
          and
          > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
          > > Geoff
          >
          > She would be right.
          > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
          >
          > Mason
          > Sorry Dude

          Hmmm......
          1 shot of Rum = 56 calories.
          Average daily diet = 2000 calories.
          2000 / 56 = 35 shots

          AHA! Liquid Diet! <efg>

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
            > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Guys,
            > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
            (or
            > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
            this)? She
            > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
            Pepsi Max
            > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
            spirits and
            > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
            > > > Geoff
            > >
            > > She would be right.
            > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
            > >
            > > Mason
            > > Sorry Dude
            >
            > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
            > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
            > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
            > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
            >
            > Trid
            > -hope you get to keep your batteries

            BTW folks,
            Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
            measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
            needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

            Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
            celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

              Side Note:

              First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

              You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

              First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

              Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

              Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

              So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

              When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

              Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

              So screw the calories and ENJOY...

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim  aka Waldo

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

              > Hi Guys,
              > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
              > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
              > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
              > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
              > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
              > Geoff

            • daddyman00126
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                I like the way you think.