Re: Calories

  • inspeedway
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Guys,
      > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
      > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
      > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
      > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
      > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      > Geoff

      you are geoff -- keep riding!!! no carbs either
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
        > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
        > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
        > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
        > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > Geoff

        She would be right.
        http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494

        Mason
        Sorry Dude
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
          > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Guys,
          > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
          > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
          > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
          > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
          > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
          > > Geoff
          >
          > She would be right.
          > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
          >
          > Mason
          > Sorry Dude

          Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
          itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
          have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
          (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.

          Trid
          -hope you get to keep your batteries
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
            > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Guys,
            > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
            > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)?
            She
            > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi
            Max
            > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits
            and
            > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
            > > Geoff
            >
            > She would be right.
            > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
            >
            > Mason
            > Sorry Dude

            Hmmm......
            1 shot of Rum = 56 calories.
            Average daily diet = 2000 calories.
            2000 / 56 = 35 shots

            AHA! Liquid Diet! <efg>

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
              > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Guys,
              > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
              (or
              > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
              this)? She
              > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
              Pepsi Max
              > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
              spirits and
              > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
              > > > Geoff
              > >
              > > She would be right.
              > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
              > >
              > > Mason
              > > Sorry Dude
              >
              > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
              > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
              > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
              > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
              >
              > Trid
              > -hope you get to keep your batteries

              BTW folks,
              Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
              measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
              needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

              Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
              celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

                Side Note:

                First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

                You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

                First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

                Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

                Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

                So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

                When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

                Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

                So screw the calories and ENJOY...

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim  aka Waldo

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                > Hi Guys,
                > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
                > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
                > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
                > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
                > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
                > Geoff

              • daddyman00126
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                  I like the way you think.