Calories

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Guys,
      Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
      she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
      maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
      drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
      there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
      Geoff
    • inspeedway
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
        <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
        > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
        > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
        > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
        > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
        > Geoff

        you are geoff -- keep riding!!! no carbs either
      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
          > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
          > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
          > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
          > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
          > Geoff

          She would be right.
          http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494

          Mason
          Sorry Dude
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
            > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Guys,
            > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
            > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
            > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
            > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
            > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
            > > Geoff
            >
            > She would be right.
            > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
            >
            > Mason
            > Sorry Dude

            Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
            itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
            have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
            (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.

            Trid
            -hope you get to keep your batteries
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
              > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Guys,
              > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
              > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)?
              She
              > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi
              Max
              > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits
              and
              > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
              > > Geoff
              >
              > She would be right.
              > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
              >
              > Mason
              > Sorry Dude

              Hmmm......
              1 shot of Rum = 56 calories.
              Average daily diet = 2000 calories.
              2000 / 56 = 35 shots

              AHA! Liquid Diet! <efg>

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
                > > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Guys,
                > > > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO
                (or
                > > > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle
                this)? She
                > > > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and
                Pepsi Max
                > > > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into
                spirits and
                > > > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
                > > > Geoff
                > >
                > > She would be right.
                > > http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rum-i77494
                > >
                > > Mason
                > > Sorry Dude
                >
                > Calories do indeed carry over in distillation. Ethanol in and of
                > itself has 7 calories per gram. Therefore, your 40%abv tipple would
                > have 2.8 calories per gram (at roughly 1.1 ml per gram). So a shot
                > (25 ml) of 40% rum would have 63-ish calories.
                >
                > Trid
                > -hope you get to keep your batteries

                BTW folks,
                Calories are NOT a physical substance. A CALORIE is a unit of
                measurement used to measure food energy. It is the amount of energy
                needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

                Therefore of course they can't distil over, any more than a degree
                celcius or fahrenheit could destil over.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

                  Side Note:

                  First off to Mason, Speed, Trid and Harry:

                  You all are making total assumptions....  (assume == making ASS of U and ME)

                  First, your assuming he's only using one shot of 40% rum in his drink...

                  Second, you assuming he's only using 40% ABV  in his Rum and Pepsi Max.

                  Third, he never mentioned how much volume of Pepsi Max to Rum was in that drink.

                  So... whether there is 7 calories per gram or 56 calories in 1 shot of rum, its all (ir)relative. :):):).

                  When I make my rum and Coke (COKE DA NO PEPSIA - SNL  with  lemon of course).  Its usually my 151 (average)  un-diluted Rum (straight from the pot still) about 10 "shots - whaterver a shot is lol" to a couple or so of liters of Coke :):)....

                  Usually lasts me most of the nite (if I cin remember correctly).

                  So screw the calories and ENJOY...

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim  aka Waldo

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Guys,
                  > Right can you settle a disagreement between me and HWMBO (or
                  > she'll pull the fuses on my wheelchair if I don't settle this)? She
                  > maintains that there must be a lot of calories in a Rum and Pepsi Max
                  > drink. I say no, because calories don't distil over into spirits and
                  > there aren't any calories in Pepsi Max. So who's right?
                  > Geoff

                • daddyman00126
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                    I like the way you think.