how do you use irish moss?

  • homemade12476
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2008
      i have always used heated sparkloid. but i am trying irish moss as
      suggested by mason. i picked up some today. but how do i use it?
      just sprinkle it on top,stir it in or do i have to heat it?
      thanks,chris
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
        <homemade12476@...> wrote:

        > i have always used heated sparkloid. but i am trying irish moss as
        > suggested by mason. i picked up some today. but how do i use it?
        > just sprinkle it on top,stir it in or do i have to heat it?
        > thanks,chris

        Sorry Chris this one slipped by me. I read it the other day but had
        to rush off before I had a chance to reply.
        I use the effervescent tablets and I think you just bought it in
        powder form. This is from a Beer Brew forum.
        http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/use-irish-moss-whirlfloc-51839/
        From what I gather for our purpose you would just Rehydrate a tsp or
        so in warm water and then after a few minutes pour it in the wash and
        give it a stir. This is how I use the tablets as well. For beer it
        sounds like they are using it in the beginning. My guy at my LHBS says
        it can be used either way.

        Mason
      • homemade12476
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2008
          thanks mason , will try it that way,just found a s steel keg with
          the top cut off from years ago used for peanuts at my dads house im
          going to work on a new still when i get the chance ,,if i can find
          the stuff to make it, it will be like my grandfathers simple pot.im
          going to make it close as i can with what i can find,,,for some
          reason it makes the best stuff.
          thanks,chris
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
          <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
          > <homemade12476@> wrote:
          > >
          > > i have always used heated sparkloid. but i am trying irish moss
          as
          > > suggested by mason. i picked up some today. but how do i use it?
          > > just sprinkle it on top,stir it in or do i have to heat it?
          > > thanks,chris
          > >

          > Sorry Chris this one slipped by me. I read it the other day but
          had
          > to rush off before I had a chance to reply.
          > I use the effervescent tablets and I think you just bought it in
          > powder form. This is from a Beer Brew forum.
          > http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/use-irish-moss-whirlfloc-51839/
          > From what I gather for our purpose you would just Rehydrate a tsp
          or
          > so in warm water and then after a few minutes pour it in the wash
          and
          > give it a stir. This is how I use the tablets as well. For beer
          it
          > sounds like they are using it in the beginning. My guy at my LHBS
          says
          > it can be used either way.
          >
          > Mason

        • homemade12476
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
            the mum i made has been clearing for the past 5 days and still
            nothing.looks just a hair more clear than when i started.i rehydrated
            the moss in boiling water for 10 min then stir in.
            thanks, chris