still still choking

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
      i did a run yesterday with my new modified still. 50 litre keg 2.8kW
      660mmx73mm column 100mm of copper turnings at the base then 18 s/s
      scrubbers. it has a vapour management system on it. a 1/2" gate valve
      leading to a liebeg. and another 1/2" gate valve on top with 1/2"
      copper tube coming out and a vodka bottle stuck on the end of this
      upside down with the base cut off, in the bottle is my cooling coil.
      once again i had problems with choking in the vodka bottle. i cant
      get my hands on a larger gate valve than 1/2" but will keep looking.
      the wash was approx 20% i collected it in 4 stages 2 litres at 80%, 3
      litres at 75%, 2 litres at 48% and 2.5 litres at 10%. it all tastes
      nice it does smell but is quite a pleasant smell. i am going to put
      another run through this time just putting the vodka bottle straight
      in (no valve) so it will have a wider space than 1/2". the inside
      diameter is about 20mm i think. this should allow for a greater
      reflux, i had to run it at full reflux anyway so there was no point
      in having the valve!
    • klcampbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2002
        G'day Peter,mate tell me just exactly what you need in way of a gate valve
        and I will post one to you,they are pretty cheap in Australia.All I need is
        your details and it's done,Regards,Ken.
        > i did a run yesterday with my new modified still. 50 litre keg 2.8kW
        > 660mmx73mm column 100mm of copper turnings at the base then 18 s/s
        > scrubbers. it has a vapour management system on it. a 1/2" gate valve
        > leading to a liebeg. and another 1/2" gate valve on top with 1/2"
        > copper tube coming out and a vodka bottle stuck on the end of this
        > upside down with the base cut off, in the bottle is my cooling coil.
        > once again i had problems with choking in the vodka bottle. i cant
        > get my hands on a larger gate valve than 1/2" but will keep looking.
        > the wash was approx 20% i collected it in 4 stages 2 litres at 80%, 3
        > litres at 75%, 2 litres at 48% and 2.5 litres at 10%. it all tastes
        > nice it does smell but is quite a pleasant smell. i am going to put
        > another run through this time just putting the vodka bottle straight
        > in (no valve) so it will have a wider space than 1/2". the inside
        > diameter is about 20mm i think. this should allow for a greater
        > reflux, i had to run it at full reflux anyway so there was no point
        > in having the valve!

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
          > i did a run yesterday with my new modified still. 50 litre keg
          2.8kW
          > 660mmx73mm column 100mm of copper turnings at the base then 18 s/s
          > scrubbers. it has a vapour management system on it. a 1/2" gate
          valve
          > leading to a liebeg. and another 1/2" gate valve on top with 1/2"
          > copper tube coming out and a vodka bottle stuck on the end of this
          > upside down with the base cut off, in the bottle is my cooling
          coil.
          > once again i had problems with choking in the vodka bottle. i cant
          > get my hands on a larger gate valve than 1/2" but will keep
          looking.
          > the wash was approx 20% i collected it in 4 stages 2 litres at 80%,
          3
          > litres at 75%, 2 litres at 48% and 2.5 litres at 10%. it all tastes
          > nice it does smell but is quite a pleasant smell. i am going to put
          > another run through this time just putting the vodka bottle
          straight
          > in (no valve) so it will have a wider space than 1/2". the inside
          > diameter is about 20mm i think. this should allow for a greater
          > reflux, i had to run it at full reflux anyway so there was no point
          > in having the valve!

          i removed the valve to the top condenser and stuck the vodka bottle
          straight in and ran it again with the second half of my wash. it
          slightly choked at the start when i had the output valve to my
          collection condenser closed. the temperature stablisised after about
          5 minutes and i bled off the first 100ml and discarded it. when i
          fully opened my outlet valve the choking stopped and it ran very
          smoothly. my first 700ml was 94%, second was 95%, third was 91% and
          then i collected 2.2 litres at 89%. the temperature stayed very
          stable throughout which i was pleased with it read just under 77C, my
          thermometer is over ten years old, time i got a new mercury one. the
          temperature suddenly shot up at the end to about 83C, i collecting
          for a while to put it back in the next run. i tasted this and it
          seemed only about 10% so i turned it off. i was impressed with the
          strength for a relatively short column, i would have been pleased to
          get 90% but didnt expect 95%, maybe the thicker 73mm column has
          someting to do with this, also the vodka bottle is located in the
          very centre so the refluxed liquid goes straight back down the
          middle. my valve was fully open all the time excpet when changing
          bottles. i should have closed it a bit when time went on to increase
          the reflux but i forgot all about it ( i had started sampling the
          earlier stuff ;) ).
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2002
            hi Ken

            thanks for the generous offer! the vodka bottle still choked slightly
            when i took the 1/2" valve off so i don't think i would use the valve
            even if i had one. the still is running fine when i open the
            collection valve, it is nice to see what is going on through the
            glass too. i might try experimenting with a bottle with a larger neck
            which would completely stop the choking, but at the moment i am very
            pleased with its performance.
            thanks again for the offer though.