Re: [new_distillers] copper

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thanks for the tip. Umm... I'd avoid trying to use a five gallon
      homebrewing carboy if I was you. I work part-time in a homebrew shop in the
      US. I've seen at least a dozen carboys explode when people try to either,
      1.sanitize them with heat, or 2.use them as a still body. They just can't
      take the heat you need. I don't know if anyone of the people I've seen come
      in for replacement carboys (one guy was covered in glass) ever tried using a
      hot water bath, but I can't really see it helping THAT much.
    • Ian Macsween
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
        Amen! I use glass carboys as secondary fermentors and for storing wine and
        spirits. I have not broke one yet - touch wood. The last one I bought came
        with a caveat - do not clean using "hot" tap water! So if hot tap water will
        break a carboy - go figure what direct or even indirect heat will do!
        > Thanks for the tip. Umm... I'd avoid trying to use a five gallon
        > homebrewing carboy if I was you. I work part-time in a homebrew shop in
        the
        > US. I've seen at least a dozen carboys explode when people try to either,
        > 1.sanitize them with heat, or 2.use them as a still body. They just can't
        > take the heat you need. I don't know if anyone of the people I've seen
        come
        > in for replacement carboys (one guy was covered in glass) ever tried using
        > hot water bath, but I can't really see it helping THAT much.

      • Michael Spottswood
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
          Well, that being the case I will forego the glass jugs. I would guess that
          the cider jug would be the same. The chemist's flask I use is made by pyrex
          so it is likely more resistant to heat. Instead I think I will concentrate
          on finishing the reflux still out back.

          Thanks for the advice
          Mike

        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
            Mike,

            > what is the procedure for cleaning the copper prior to use?

            see http://homedistiller.org/materials.htm#copper

            Tony
          • steve
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
              --- Michael Spottswood <mikespotts@...> wrote:
              > I spent the afternoon building a jacket condenser
              > from copper pipe. I plan
              > to attach that to a glass jug to boil in a water
              > bath as a simple pot still.
              > My question is, what is the procedure for cleaning
              > the copper prior to
              > use? I am sure there is still some flux inside the
              > pipe I would like to get
              > out before I try to distill with it. After I get
              > good with this I plan on
              > adding a doubler/thumper, then this summer I am
              > going to finish my reflux
              > still whose column is already complete (just need to
              > attach it to some kind
              > of boiler).
              >
              > Thanks
              > Mike
              > fill it with coke it will clean it shiney.

              http://sports.yahoo.com
            • stillyaakman
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 19, 2002
                A good source of copper piping and fittings is the local
                refrigeration supply house.
                Dan
              • Zeke Jones
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 20, 2002

                  A better source of copper,of the size needed for a  column etc would be a Plumbing Contractors supply Co....an even better source of copper tubing is a salvage yard....expect to pay appx 25-50% of the original cost of tubing(sweat)...not a good source of 'Ts','90s',reducers etc...these 'babies' will cost you plenty,especially in the 1.5" + sizes...example,in this area a 1.5"x1.5"x.5" 'T' will cost you appx $8ea....

                  >From: "stillyaakman"
                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [new_distillers] copper
                  >Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:53:15 -0000
                  >
                  >A good source of copper piping and fittings is the local
                  >refrigeration supply house.
                  >Dan

                • Bryan Ripperger
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Can you use any kind of copper to make the vat or do you have to use a
                    certian kind of copper. Thanks for the help Ripp
                  • Bryan Ripperger
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
                      Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
                      still Bryan.
                    • Snowblind Moose
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
                        Just be sure it hasn't been treated with a plastic or lacquer covering
                        to stop it from oxidizing, like some of the ornamental copper is.

                        -Tony

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Ripperger"
                      • jkirby007@netzero.net
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005

                          <brywayripp@y...> wrote:
                          > Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
                          > still Bryan.

                          one other thing to look for in used copper is lead solder traces any where on the copper especially on the inside of the tubing. i have found some neat looking pipe that had lead solder on the inside and was almost un useable, a stainless steel scrubb pad attached to a long drill bit or rod of some sort will generally take most stuff from the inside if you do it rite or one of the new rotary flapper type sand wheels attached to a long rod extension,will do an even better job,
                          happy building and good luk
                          jesse jkirby007@...

                        • KM Services
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                            I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot’s beak and once I get it all cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with the copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That is safe of course.

                            Cheers

                            Ken Mc

                          • Greg
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                              Hey Ken, It's all good with a hand shake in my book. I was just on that
                              Kiwi=Ebay site, Those are some good lookin' rig's!! I cant find the
                              video's though. Can you help out on that? Thank's Greg P.S To help w/
                              your "Patina" on copper, use a cheese cloth/nylon stocking and a very
                              fine coat of ... Get this: I work w/materials that take the beating from
                              the outside elements

                              Veggie oil. Yep Veggie oil! It repels water and does not "stain" the
                              metal. I use it w/my wifes antique shop all the time.

                              Hope this help's

                              Greg PPS Vid's...

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I get
                              it all
                              > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                              > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with
                              the
                              > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That
                              is
                              > safe of course.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > Ken Mc

                            • KM Services
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                                Greg,

                                Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fractional+home+distillation&search_type=

                                Cheers

                                Ken Mc

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                                  Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube. com/results? search_query= fractional+ home+distillatio n&search_type=

                                   http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=156867871 the guy has re-listed that still and here is the link

                                  Cheers

                                  Ken Mc

                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                                    <km_services@...> wrote:

                                    > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I
                                    get it all
                                    > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                                    > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys
                                    with the
                                    > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking?
                                    That is
                                    > safe of course.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    >
                                    > Ken Mc

                                  • Dink
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                                      Thx Ken. Great videos...

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                        i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.
                                      • John Brase
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                          Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                                          i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.

                                        • Rainero Morgia
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                              an  alternate  is  to  use  a  2" stainless pipe  and  use  a  copper  packing

                                              Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 26, 2010
                                                in my area (New England) lowes and home depot sell 2" pipe and fittings
                                                pipe was cheaper at Home depot . fittings cheaper at lowes. i work in commercial construction . ive once traded the boss plumber 2 large pizza's for a 7' stick of 2". check job sites and barter. maybe trade some product.