help

  • country_420
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2002
      if anyone out there would like to "take me under their wing" and get
      me started that would be great. im very intwerested but ive been
      unable to find any websites or resources at my comprehension and
      expierience level. im lookin for someone who will give me tips,
      pointers, hints, places to look, books to read, and start simple,
      because i dont know anything. if you have any of the info i asked
      about, please contact me at tcoward_99@..., id really
      appreciate it.

      Travis
    • mattdistiller
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 28, 2002
        Travis,

        There is only one answer to your questions:

        <http://homedistiller.org/>

        Happy reading!

        Matt

        P.S. If you are more of a book person, there are a couple of good
        books around that you can buy over the net:

        "Making pure corn whiskey - a professional guide for amateur and
        micro distillers"
        <http://www.magma.ca/~smiley/main.htm>

        "The Compleat Distiller"
        <http://www.amphora-society.com>
      • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 2 3:10 PM
          OK let me be the paranoid one. This kid states he is 16 years old...he
          could be an under age minor in the US. I don't know about the laws in other
          countries. I enjoy this hobby and would hate to see anyone get in trouble
          for assisting a young lad do something illegal. That could bring some very
          negative press to our community. I question why anyone would openly state
          their age since they are only 16 unless perhaps he is really a cop and is
          just trying to see if he can get someone to "take me under their wing"?
          Call me crazy but there is plenty of how to on Tony's site and other sites
          without any explicit direction.

          Travis- If you are just curious just read this board for tips, hints, etc.
          If you are living in a country that does not allow this hobby or are under
          age then please do not ask us to help you break the law. If not then accept
          my appology in advance.

          I'm just being on the safe side.

        • Brian Bashford
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 2 3:40 PM
            Hi,
              I wouldn't normally post a "me too" but I agree with Brian here. In the UK the legal age for drinking outside the home is 18.  The usual way for an adolescent / teenager to become accustomed to alcohol is by a gentle introduction via a glass of wine with Sunday lunch or a pint of lager (usually bought by an older friend) at the pub. To jump in at the deep end with distilling at the age of 16 is misguided,  or as Brian says...a cop, (albeit a not very subtle one) deliberately baiting the present incumbents.
               Have nothing to do with him until he can explain himself adequately.

                     Brian B.
            OK let me be the paranoid one.  This kid states he is 16 years old...he
            could be an under age minor in the US.  I don't know about the laws in other
            countries.  I enjoy this hobby and would hate to see anyone get in trouble
            for assisting a young lad do something illegal.  That could bring some very
            negative press to our community.   I question why anyone would openly state
            their age since they are only 16 unless perhaps he is really a cop and is
            just trying to see if he can get someone to "take me under their wing"?
            Call me crazy but there is plenty of how to on Tony's site and other sites
            without any explicit direction.

            Travis- If you are just curious just read this board for tips, hints, etc.
            If you are living in a country that does not allow this hobby or are under
            age then please do not ask us to help you break the law.  If not then accept
            my appology in advance.

            I'm just being on the safe side.

          • Ian Macsween
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 2 6:18 PM
              I more than agree with you.  I taught in secondary schools for a long time - and I assure you that kids will go to great lengths to cover their age if they are doing something not appropriate for that age.  No kid in his right mind would blurt out that he is only 16 when asking for information of this sort.  And even if this is not a "sting" - can you imagine what the media would do if responsible parents found out?  Like when parents discovered that their children were getting directions on how to build bombs via the internet!  Caution!

            • ups474@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 2 7:22 PM
                I'm with you- knowingly helping a minor to drink is probably a felony in the
                US- I'll lend NO assistance.
              • cornfed62
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 2 10:18 PM
                  I remember being 16.

                  I am still thankful that I could only score an occasional pint
                  of "hard" liquor. Because I had to drink -everything- that I -did-
                  get before I got home. I dont want to be a contributer to a 16 year
                  old having a close encounter with alcohol poisoning. Where does a 16
                  year old set up a still where his parents dont find it? Where is the
                  fermentation done? I doubt he has his own apartment. That would also
                  mean that the drinking is done while in motion in a automobile. And
                  then there is the probability that other 16 year olds will be in the
                  car also while it is being consumed. Bad thoughts all around.
                  Especially if it involves the injury of someone else entirely.

                  The bad press from helping a minor develop his own apparatus is not
                  what is needed to persuade legislatures to change home distilling
                  laws.

                  Especially if the revelation hits the press after a spectacular
                  drunken car crash involving injuries or death with a underage drinker
                  and the investigation reveals a bookmark for this site and Tony's on
                  his home computer.

                  ps. Doesnt matter if you're a cop. After a serous personal injury
                  or fatality accident they investgate -everything-. The first
                  question with an underage drunk driver is "where did you get the
                  booze". Then they start looking. The accident was the probable cause
                  to get the search warrant to look at everything inside your house. If
                  the criminal jury doesnt convict, then there is also the civil
                  courts.

                  Just venting some of my thoughts here. This isnt a personal slam
                  against youth. I just would prefer you grow up to pay social
                  security taxes to support me in my old age. hehehe

                  --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                  > I'm with you- knowingly helping a minor to drink is probably a
                  felony in the
                  > US- I'll lend NO assistance.
                • cornfed62
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 2 10:53 PM
                    but on second thought. If this is research for a science chemistry
                    lab exercise, you are asking the questions in the wrong way.

                    The laboratory technique for distillation isnt out of bounds for a
                    high school science course. I suggest asking your science teacher to
                    show you around. Extra credit work could only help you learn more.

                    If this is to learn how to make alcoholic beverages... Sorry son. I
                    want to see you live to an age when you can purchase your own drink
                    in a bar legally. *file this away for 20 years* You will appreciate
                    knowing that adults held back on information when you have children
                    that are about your age right now.

                    --- In new_distillers@y..., "cornfed62" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
                    > I remember being 16.
                    _____________ SNIP _________________
                  • John Vandermeulen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 3 7:07 AM
                      Hello Travis,
                      by now you will have read all the various opinions about giving you some help
                      with the distilling project. I am not going to judge, here, about what
                      should be done or should not be done.
                      Please understand that we are involved in what in most countries is an
                      illegal activity. Providing instruction to a minor only worsens the
                      situation.
                      But....there is nothing wrong with you consulting Tony Ackland privately.
                      You can ask him any question you want, as long as you do it off-list, i.e.
                      personally and directly to Tony at his own web address
                      (ackland@...).
                      That is probably the best way to handle this. Similarly, if you want to
                      inquire about something else from another lister, approach him or her
                      directly, off-list. Some of us may not want to respond even then. Don't
                      fault them for that - this is a tricky topic.
                      All the best,
                      John V

                      country_420 wrote:

                      > if anyone out there would like to "take me under their wing" and get
                      > me started that would be great. im very intwerested but ive been
                      > unable to find any websites or resources at my comprehension and
                      > expierience level. im lookin for someone who will give me tips,
                      > pointers, hints, places to look, books to read, and start simple,
                      > because i dont know anything. if you have any of the info i asked
                      > about, please contact me at tcoward_99@..., id really
                      > appreciate it.
                      >
                      > Travis

                    • willy hamlin
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
                        hello
                        i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!! so all the help i can get would be great.
                        thanks
                        willy

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 11, 2004
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, willy hamlin
                          <willy_hamlin@y...> wrote:
                          > hello
                          > i am wanting to get started making shine, igot plans for a reflux
                          still but i dont under stand about the packing how much to put in
                          or if i half to . i need some recipe to start with something easy!!!
                          so all the help i can get would be great.

                          thanks

                          willy

                          Hi Willy,
                          See msg# 10298 or look in files for F.A.Q.
                          That'll get you started. Make sure you visit Tony's site. The link
                          is in the file.

                        • wombat_831
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 12, 2008
                            my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                            through it wont drop what do i do
                          • Larry Collins
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                              At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:

                              >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                              >through it wont drop what do i do

                              Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts coming out
                              of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's alcohol that
                              you're distilling.

                              Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.

                              Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling point
                              of whatever it's being produced from.

                              You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                              temperature than the steam coming in contact.

                              If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to 79.8C,
                              very little condensation is going to happen.

                              Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal operating
                              temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.

                              The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C, and as
                              they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to boil.
                              That's about 80C.

                              Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol in the
                              wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil. When it
                              starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need to be
                              keeping an eye on it.

                              Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and collect
                              into another separate container to be added to your next wash after fermenting.

                              Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general and your
                              81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with altitude
                              above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or it's
                              placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be as
                              outlined in a book or web page.
                            • abbababbaccc
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
                                My still head temperature is 78.2C (after it has stabilized)
                                throughout the whole run. If it goes above that you are not getting
                                pure ethanol anymore.

                                Cheers, Riku

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...>
                                wrote:

                                > At 11:48 PM 01/12/2008, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >my still temp is at 81 degrees and no matter how much water i put
                                > >through it wont drop what do i do
                                >
                                > Your temp should really never go below 80C after alcohol starts
                                coming out
                                > of the condenser... it should only go up after that, if it's
                                alcohol that
                                > you're distilling.
                                >
                                > Cooling water doesn't affect temperature enough to measure.
                                >
                                > Temperature of the steam in the column is determined by the boiling
                                point
                                > of whatever it's being produced from.
                                >
                                > You run cooling water purely to keep the condenser(s) at a lower
                                > temperature than the steam coming in contact.
                                >
                                > If you're running 80C steam past a condenser that has heated up to
                                79.8C,
                                > very little condensation is going to happen.
                                >
                                > Assuming that you're talking about 81C, that's about the normal
                                operating
                                > temperature of the still when it's first starting to produce output.
                                >
                                > The undesirable alcohols other than ethanol boil at about 78~79C,
                                and as
                                > they boil away, the temperature will rise, as the ethanol begins to
                                boil.
                                > That's about 80C.
                                >
                                > Temp should remain steady at 80C for a long time, until the ethanol
                                in the
                                > wash begins to get depleted and other alcohols also start to boil.
                                When it
                                > starts to go up, that will happen relatively quickly, so you need
                                to be
                                > keeping an eye on it.
                                >
                                > Above 91C, it's probably time to stop collecting for drinking, and
                                collect
                                > into another separate container to be added to your next wash after
                                fermenting.

                                > Don't worry about the technical difference between 80C in general
                                and your
                                > 81C in actual practice. The boiling point of liquids varies with
                                altitude
                                > above sea level. Also, your thermometer might not be accurate, or
                                it's
                                > placement may not allow for exactly matching what a temp should be
                                as
                                > outlined in a book or web page.

                              • David Reed
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                                  Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Reed <david.reed93@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Ice, Ice, Ice, gotta keep condenser well chilled

                                    It doesn't matter how cold you run the condenser. The purpose of a
                                    condenser is to extract enough heat from vapour to change it to
                                    liquid. This can be done with as little as 10°C difference between
                                    the vapour and the coolant (Read up on condensers & phase change
                                    theory).

                                    The temp of the vapours at the top of the column is a direct result
                                    (the boiling point) of that particular mix of substances (alcohol,
                                    water & other things like impurities).

                                    At 81°C, you're above 90% ethanol purity. If you want to try for
                                    higher purity, slow down the heat input. This will allow the column
                                    to do its separation thing properly for that particular design
                                    (parameters of height, width, packing). Overdriving a column will
                                    only reduce the purity of the ethanol spirit (sometimes desirable
                                    when making brown end-products).

                                    The column is where its all at. Heat input must be balanced for
                                    that column to allow it to work to its full efficiency.

                                  • lindsey_lucky
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford"
                                      <tipitina@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      > I wouldn't normally post a "me too" but I agree with Brian here.
                                      In the UK the legal age for drinking outside the home is 18. The
                                      usual way for an adolescent / teenager to become accustomed to
                                      alcohol is by a gentle introduction via a glass of wine with Sunday
                                      lunch or a pint of lager (usually bought by an older friend) at the
                                      pub. To jump in at the deep end with distilling at the age of 16 is
                                      misguided, or as Brian says...a cop, (albeit a not very subtle one)
                                      deliberately baiting the present incumbents.
                                      > Have nothing to do with him until he can explain himself
                                      adequately.

                                      > Brian B.

                                      break any laws,,,my first still was made when I was 9 years old, it
                                      blew the top of the building off and none of us were hurt, we had
                                      left the still running, no pressure relief valve,,,if a minor or some
                                      one not so wise had gave us a little assittance that would never have
                                      happenned, any time you COOK - OFF any thing water mash ect, be
                                      extremly careful, anybody should read as much as possible, so as not
                                      to get hurt or hurt a bystander,, by the way , the roof landed across
                                      the street BLOCKING THE FIRE ENGINE FROM GETTING OUT TO PUT FIRE OUT!

                                      they figure that the chicken doo doo caused the explosion but the
                                      chief told me and my buddies different...
                                    • jason
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                                        hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                                        somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                                        for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 12, 2008
                                          ...Replies inline...

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <jasoncpgriffiths@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > hello all i am new to this.

                                          ...Yep, this is new_distillers

                                          if i make a reflux still will it make
                                          > somthing that you can drink ?

                                          ...Of course not! We only make reflux stills to alleviate the
                                          boredom & lighten our wallets. :^)

                                          will it be safe.

                                          ...Will what be safe? The booze? or the process? or the legality?

                                          i make beer & wine have
                                          > for years so the mash is no prob.

                                          ...Then you will at some stage have bumped into info about your above
                                          questions, no? If not start here...
                                          http://tinyurl.com/6fs5j6

                                          thanks for your input

                                          ...My pleasure. Had some time to kill on silly stuff.

                                        • tgfoitwoods
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 13, 2008
                                            Hi Jason, and welcome aboard.

                                            At the risk of sounding repetitive (to others on the list,
                                            *not* you), it all depends on what you want to drink. Reflux
                                            still are at their very best producing high-ABV (~95%) vodka.
                                            If that's what you like and you'll flavor it with packets of
                                            essences (commercially available) the reflux still is for you.

                                            If, on the other hand, you want to make liquors that come out
                                            of the still with characteristic flavors, like whisk(e)ys,
                                            brandies, rums, eaux de vie, and exotics like grappa, a potstill
                                            is more appropriate.

                                            True, you can make vodka with a potstill and whisk(e)y with a
                                            reflux still, and maybe you can train chickens to pull a plow,
                                            but as far as appropriate technology goes, it's reflux for
                                            vodka and potstill for everything else.

                                            Just an opinion, of course.

                                            I just hope you have as much fun stillin' as I do.

                                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller.

                                            wrote:

                                            > hello all i am new to this. if i make a reflux still will it make
                                            > somthing that you can drink ? will it be safe. i make beer & wine have
                                            > for years so the mash is no prob. thanks for your input

                                          • ttuckey
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                              Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                              to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                              the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                              stuff.
                                            • rye_junkie1
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@...> wrote:

                                                > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                                > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                                > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                                > stuff.

                                                I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                                Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                                and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                                more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                                of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                                Vodka ones.
                                                As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                                product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                                start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                                Mason
                                              • Peers Cawley
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                                  Hya,

                                                  Yep – I use glycerine for liqueurs all the time ..

                                                  I use a carbon filter on my sugar washes and produce a strong neat spirit to macerate or fortify a strong dessert wine.

                                                  I add sugar syrup to required sweetness and at the final stage add the glycerine if I feel the liqueur will benefit from it.

                                                  It can’t smooth a rough drink – it will refine and give texture / body to an already good flavour.

                                                  I would only use it in vodka very sparingly.

                                                  Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                                  Cheers from Peers

                                                  > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and when
                                                  > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth out
                                                  > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                                  > stuff.

                                                  I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                                  Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze sweet
                                                  and oily. Not picking at you but honestly your best route would be a
                                                  more careful distillation. Maybe try carbon filtration. I uses a lot
                                                  of the Brewhaus ultra premium essences but havent tried any of the
                                                  Vodka ones.
                                                  As for when to add glycerin. That would be after you have cut the
                                                  product to desired drinking strength. Add it to taste and I would
                                                  start at a rate of 1oz/liter.

                                                  Mason

                                                • KM Services
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                                    I used to use glycerine for the likes of whiskey etc…stuff you tend to drink straight or on the rocks…but have been using a commercial spirit finisher which is a powder available here in NZ that you add at the rate of 1 teaspoon per litre to filtered spirit. What both of these products do is to give your spirit “mouth feel” and smooth the spirit. As Mason has said glycerine can if too much is added ( around 5 – 10ml per litre is best) give a sweet oily feel where the finisher achieves the smoothening and mouth fell without the sweet oiliness  in my experience. If you read up on vodka essences they are really not flavouring but smoothening agents, but in saying that there is a range here which have flavours added like lemon etc.

                                                    Cheers

                                                    Ken Mc

                                                  • Peers Cawley
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009

                                                      Oops :-} typo error there should have said 1 – 2 tsp per 750ml bottle

                                                      Sorry

                                                      Normally 1 – 2 tsp per 55ml is sufficient

                                                      Cheers from Peers

                                                    • gff_stwrt
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                                        Hi, Mason, hi folks,

                                                        Mason, maybe you used a bit much glycerin?

                                                        I have little experience in this, but I have a feeling that (unless
                                                        it is intended to be a major highlight of the product), anything you
                                                        add to a food or drink should be in such a small quantity that you
                                                        can identify an overall improvement but you can barely, if at all,
                                                        identify what it was you added.

                                                        My tuppence worth,

                                                        Regards,

                                                        The Baker

                                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ttuckey" <ttuckey@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Does anyone has experience with glycerine addition to vodka and
                                                        when
                                                        > > to add it ? Or would a vodka essence be a better route to smooth
                                                        out
                                                        > > the final product? Any suggestions on a good essence, no fruity
                                                        > > stuff.
                                                        > >

                                                        > I tried glycerin but cant say that i like it. Maybe if I get into
                                                        > Liqueurs or schnapps but For me all it did was make good booze
                                                        sweet
                                                        > and oily.

                                                        snip

                                                        > Mason

                                                      • bigdaddyg851
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                          i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                                          thank you!
                                                        • Kevin Healey
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                            If your in the States, try Ebay. There are small sections occasionally on there. Look into stainless as well. I picked up 2" stainless dairy tube for $6.00 a foot. they also had 3" for around $10.00. I forget the name but they should still be on ebay. Just do a search for stainless tubing or pipe. The same applies for the copper.
                                                            Good luck,
                                                            Kevin

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                              Calling around and asking plumbers or plumbing supply stores is probably your best bet.

                                                              See if they know of any copper scrap places or have pieces in their shops.

                                                              Vino es Veritas,

                                                              Jim aka Waldo.

                                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                                                              > i am haveing problems finding a six inch piece of three inch cooper tubing .the only thing i can find is a 10ft length and it's quite expensive . any sites on the internet were small sections are avalible ?
                                                              > thank you!

                                                            • tim cheek
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 11, 2009
                                                                Try Ebay, I found two 2" x 3' peices very reasonable.
                                                                Search copper pipe/tubing