Treasures

  • CornFed15
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2002
      I was dragged kicking and screaming into one of those antique stores today where they sell old things for way too much money.  So while I was forced to be in there anyway, I had a look around.  I found this glass coffee pot on a shelf for about 20 dollars.  Maybe those shops have a useful purpose anyway.  What I actually saw was an essential oils still.

      I see some modifications that need to be done with it.  First thing is shortening the valve stem section and eliminating the valve.  Second is eliminating the stopper thingy (use is a mystery).    Third is replacing the top lid with a cork and outlet tube to go to the condensor.  Fourth is to add some kind of screen inside the top jug.

      Did I miss anything?
    • stillcooker
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
        Is it really an essential oils still....? it looks to me a bit like
        a coffeemaker which used to be sold in the 70ies/80ies and was
        designed to be put on the diner table...........

        StillCooker
        http://geocities.com/stillcooker/

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "CornFed15" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
        > I was dragged kicking and screaming into one of those antique
        stores today where they sell old things for way too much money. So
        while I was forced to be in there anyway, I had a look around. I
        found this glass coffee pot on a shelf for about 20 dollars. Maybe
        those shops have a useful purpose anyway. What I actually saw was an
        essential oils still.

        > I see some modifications that need to be done with it. First thing
        is shortening the valve stem section and eliminating the valve.
        Second is eliminating the stopper thingy (use is a mystery). Third
        is replacing the top lid with a cork and outlet tube to go to the
        condensor. Fourth is to add some kind of screen inside the top jug.

        > Did I miss anything?
      • Lynne
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
          At 06:09 PM 2/28/02 +0000, stillcooker wrote:
          >Is it really an essential oils still....? it looks to me a bit like
          >a coffeemaker which used to be sold in the 70ies/80ies and was
          >designed to be put on the diner table...........

          It's appears to be a US-made version of the Bodum Santos coffee maker which
          was designed in the late 50's, became very collectable as a retro item
          recently, and due to demand is now back in production.

          http://www.coffeeam.com/bodsanstylco.html
          http://www.bodum.com/products/use/santos/sanuse.htm

          Cheers,
          Lynne
        • cornfed62
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
            Yes I know it was originally sold as a coffee pot. However it is
            close to the design that is being sold as a 400 dollar glass oils
            still. I just have to do some modifications to it.

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "stillcooker" <stillcooker@y...> wrote:
            > Is it really an essential oils still....? it looks to me a bit
            like
            > a coffeemaker which used to be sold in the 70ies/80ies and was
            > designed to be put on the diner table...........
            >
            > StillCooker
            > http://geocities.com/stillcooker/
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@y..., "CornFed15" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
            > > I was dragged kicking and screaming into one of those antique
            > stores today where they sell old things for way too much money. So
            > while I was forced to be in there anyway, I had a look around. I
            > found this glass coffee pot on a shelf for about 20 dollars. Maybe
            > those shops have a useful purpose anyway. What I actually saw was
            an
            > essential oils still.
            > >
            > > I see some modifications that need to be done with it. First
            thing
            > is shortening the valve stem section and eliminating the valve.
            > Second is eliminating the stopper thingy (use is a mystery).
            Third
            > is replacing the top lid with a cork and outlet tube to go to the
            > condensor. Fourth is to add some kind of screen inside the top
            jug.

            > > Did I miss anything?
          • jared
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
              Hello Oil Extractor!

              That seems like it would work quite well to me - sonyone offer any more
              ideas on it?

              jared

              > At 06:09 PM 2/28/02 +0000, stillcooker wrote:
              > >Is it really an essential oils still....? it looks to me a bit like
              > >a coffeemaker which used to be sold in the 70ies/80ies and was
              > >designed to be put on the diner table...........
              >
              > It's appears to be a US-made version of the Bodum Santos coffee maker
              which
              > was designed in the late 50's, became very collectable as a retro item
              > recently, and due to demand is now back in production.
              >
              > http://www.coffeeam.com/bodsanstylco.html
              > http://www.bodum.com/products/use/santos/sanuse.htm
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Lynne

            • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
                I had done the same thing with the "Boss". Found a 7-8 gallon US pot still
                labled "Copper Thing". Already had a thermometer although it only goes up
                to 140*F. I guess the just let it go all the way back around to 0 and
                figured out where the right temp should read on the dial. I has about a
                6in jacketed reflux condensor on the top of the kettle. I will have
                make/attach a lyne arm and condensor but other than that every thing is
                there. paid $65