Re: [new_distillers] ferment'n vats

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2002
      Since I have the opportunity - another kitchen story - and another reason
      why you should have your own place to work

      Went downstairs this morning to check my applejuice wash - it appeared to be
      working a little too slow. (Now in a 25 litre carboy) Took the airlock out
      and gave it a good stir - then I knew I had trouble - it started fizzing
      like crazy - so thought that I could contain it if I put the airlock back
      on. Blasted all over the friggen drywalled ceiling. But no problem -
      cleaned up - and no hassle from the Countess of Krakow! But had I done
      that in her kitchen - I'd be whistling in soprano!
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2002
        The best way is to plan ahead. Let gravity do the work for you. Put your
        large fermenters up high (maybe waist level or more), then use siphon tubes
        to transfer the liquid into smaller containers that you carry about. My
        biggest fermentor is a 55 gallon(US) drum, sitting on a stack of bricks 2
        feet high. I just siphon the clear mash off the top, reseal the lid, and
        distill it. Yes, it takes 11 or so runs with a small (5 gallon) still to run
        it all, but that only takes 4 days or so. You can also get small wheels
        (like for a hand cart) mount them on a milk crate, and sit your bucket/carboy
        in the crate and wheel it to wherever you want it to go.