Re: safety first

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
      <homemade12476@...> wrote:

      > a few mins ago i was making a final run with my 1st half gallon
      > capped. i sat it down on the table i collect on not noticeing that i
      > left the screwdriver that i used to tighted my cooling hose clamp
      > with.sat the jug on the screwdriver out of the corner of my eye i
      > seen it falling and tried to catch it,knocked it into my propane
      > burner with it running.blue flame every place.i grabed my hose i
      > always keep handy and put it out. i invented a few words i never
      > even heard. but thought about it hell i can make more,thank god it
      > was just a jug.my point is be safe and keep something handy to put
      > out a fire. chris

      Safety is a huge issue with this hobby. I am sure that we have all
      done something at least half stupid at one time or another. I have
      had a full jar of 90% slip from my hand during a run. Months back I
      stopped a reflux run half way through and pulled the stopper at the
      top of the column so it wouldn't collapse the boiler when it cooled
      only to blow the flour seal when I restarted it the next morning. I
      still dont know what happened on that one but I can guarantee it wont
      happen again. And just this past Sunday I was trying out my new
      column and as I said in a previous post, I had 2 cinder blocks
      stacked long ways on top of each other long ways. I time my
      collection rate so that I know how fast I am collecting. I had the
      stop watch hanging on the clamp handle that was clamping the board the
      top of the block. Every single time I went out to change jars I would
      instinctively grab that stop watch wrapped around that clamp and damn
      near pull those blocks down. Stupid, Stupid , Stupid.
      We should all post our mistakes regarding safety. I'm sure we all get
      complacent at one time or another and the jolt back to reality coupled
      with putting some pride away and posting the mistake just may save one
      of us one day.

      Mason
    • jay lagasse
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
        This is interesting, just yesterday, I bought 2 fire extinguishers.  One for the house, since I burn wood, and one for the enclosed porch I do all my distilling in.  The one for the porch is a BC type, good for liquids and electrical.  It's a dry chem deal and I'm sure that despite creating a hell of a mess, I thought it would probably do a decent job of putting out an ethanol fire.  After reading Harry's comment on ethanol being hygroscopic, it makes perfect sense, and  wonder if I'd be safer or better off with just a water type extinguisher.  It would certainly create much less mess (the least important issue, I know, but still...I'd rather deal with water everywhere than choking yellow dust.).  Any opinions?

        Jay

        > a few mins ago i was making a final run with my 1st half gallon
        > capped. i sat it down on the table i collect on not noticeing that
        > left the screwdriver that i used to tighted my cooling hose clamp
        > with.sat the jug on the screwdriver out of the corner of my eye i
        > seen it falling and tried to catch it,knocked it into my propane
        > burner with it running.blue flame every place.i grabed my hose i
        > always keep handy and put it out. i invented a few words i never
        > even heard. but thought about it hell i can make more,thank god it
        > was just a jug.my point is be safe and keep something handy to put
        > out a fire. chris

        Chris,

        You are one very lucky SOB. :)
        Aren't you glad that one of the properties of ethanol is that it's
        HYGROSCOPIC (absorbs water). You reduced the ethanol strength below
        the point where it will burn ( <50% a/v). If you had spilled
        gasoline, your hose would just have spread the burning fuel
        everywhere. Lesson learned, yes???

        Good to know you're sill here. & don't say a word to your insurance
        guy. :-))

      • jay lagasse
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2008
          Here's a mistake that I'll share:  Started a run yesterday but forgot to turn on the cooling water, it just slipped my mind.  Had the propane burner up pretty high to get up to temp and left the porch to do something else for a few minutes.  Leaving the still unattended with the burner up that high is unsafe to begin with, but I look through the door window occasionally to make sure everything is ok and note the temp on the thermometer.  I always keep the outer porch door halfway open or so, plus one of the porch windows to create a cross-draft.  Anyway, I looked through the door window and noticed that the still was getting up to temp, so I went in the porch to turn the burner down and was almost knocked over by ethanol fumes un-condensed and pouring out the top of the still.  I shut the flame completely and ventilated the room, promply noticing that I had forgotten to turn on the cooling water.

          Just that one little missed step caused an ethanol-rich atmosphere in that room and even with the window and outer door open, I suppose the fumes could have gotten thick enough to cause an explosion.

          There's one of my close calls.  Glad to still be around.

          Jay

          > a few mins ago i was making a final run with my 1st half gallon
          > capped. i sat it down on the table i collect on not noticeing that i
          > left the screwdriver that i used to tighted my cooling hose clamp
          > with.sat the jug on the screwdriver out of the corner of my eye i
          > seen it falling and tried to catch it,knocked it into my propane
          > burner with it running.blue flame every place.i grabed my hose i
          > always keep handy and put it out. i invented a few words i never
          > even heard. but thought about it hell i can make more,thank god it
          > was just a jug.my point is be safe and keep something handy to put
          > out a fire. chris

          Safety is a huge issue with this hobby. I am sure that we have all
          done something at least half stupid at one time or another. I have
          had a full jar of 90% slip from my hand during a run. Months back I
          stopped a reflux run half way through and pulled the stopper at the
          top of the column so it wouldn't collapse the boiler when it cooled
          only to blow the flour seal when I restarted it the next morning. I
          still dont know what happened on that one but I can guarantee it wont
          happen again. And just this past Sunday I was trying out my new
          column and as I said in a previous post, I had 2 cinder blocks
          stacked long ways on top of each other long ways. I time my
          collection rate so that I know how fast I am collecting. I had the
          stop watch hanging on the clamp handle that was clamping the board the
          top of the block. Every single time I went out to change jars I would
          instinctively grab that stop watch wrapped around that clamp and damn
          near pull those blocks down. Stupid, Stupid , Stupid.
          We should all post our mistakes regarding safety. I'm sure we all get
          complacent at one time or another and the jolt back to reality coupled
          with putting some pride away and posting the mistake just may save one
          of us one day.

          Mason

        • homemade12476
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
            glad everone is ok but 1 last thing dont drink and cook.chris--- In

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008

              Well Actually Ya'll,

              I bet the Angels were happier then Pigs in chit.  Since we are on topics of SNAFUs (situation normal - all f*&ked up - military expression..),  My first Golden Dram award was giving to me when I first started out and made my first pot still.  I started it up with about a 15% ABV wash and kept checking....  Nothing came out.....  I figured what the the heck, let me see if theres any leaks...  Took my trusty BIC lighter out and lite it along the lyne arme down to the boiler.....

              Sure enough, when I reached the joint at the boiler (lucky only a 2 gallon one at that time), a huge blue flame shot out and burned my whole hand.  Thank God there was enough back pressure that a simple wet wash cloth put it out and some flour / water mix solved the problem.  But when i mentioned this, I was repremanded soundly by all the MKO's (most knowlegable ones) lol.  Thats where the "Golden Dram" Award started.  Note: finally realized the  correct way to check for leaks is to use a spray bottle with a dish soap solution and see where the bubbles are hehehehe.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim.

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                > Well Actually Ya'll,
                >
                > I bet the Angels were happier then Pigs in chit. Since we are on topics
                > of SNAFUs (situation normal - all f*&ked up - military expression..),
                > My first Golden Dram award was giving to me when I first started out and
                > made my first pot still. I started it up with about a 15% ABV wash and
                > kept checking.... Nothing came out..... I figured what the the heck,
                > let me see if theres any leaks... Took my trusty BIC lighter out and
                > lite it along the lyne arme down to the boiler.....
                >
                > Sure enough, when I reached the joint at the boiler (lucky only a 2
                > gallon one at that time), a huge blue flame shot out and burned my whole
                > hand. Thank God there was enough back pressure that a simple wet wash
                > cloth put it out and some flour / water mix solved the problem. But
                > when i mentioned this, I was repremanded soundly by all the MKO's (most
                > knowlegable ones) lol. Thats where the "Golden Dram" Award started.
                > Note: finally realized the correct way to check for leaks is to use a
                > spray bottle with a dish soap solution and see where the bubbles are
                > hehehehe.
                >
                > Vino es Veritas,
                >
                > Jim.

                I remember that one. And yes there seem to be some happy angels
                amongst us. I have yet to forget the cooling water but I did in the
                beginning have a habit of not turning the cooling on until the boiler
                temp reached about 140F. One day I got side tracked on something else
                for a minute or so and then I had on of those "OH CHIT" moments and
                did a sprint to the shop. Yep, More happy angels. From then on the
                cooling water comes on in the beginning.
                I guess the thing that has happened to me the most although not lately
                is a collection jar over flowing. For reflux I set the valve at a set
                rate that is usually 600ml/hour and I keep a close eye on the rig for
                the first hour or so to confirm that rate and make sure everything has
                stabilized so to speak. After that I hang a stop watch around my neck
                and go do whatever I need to do and check on it at least once every hour.
                For Pot stillin though I take a couple extra precautions. The first
                is that Pot stillin requires almost constant attention. If I leave it
                for a few minutes I still have the stop watch so that I can make sure
                I'm not gone long. Second and I think this is important I set my
                collection Jar in a Pie Pan that has sand in it. The sand makes for a
                sturdy platform and if for some reason I do have an over fill the
                distillate doesnt make it very far. The sand soaks it up. I do this
                for spirit runs as I am making cuts with small jars. I usually beer
                strip into a 5 gallon carboy. When its 3/4 full I do a spirit run or
                reflux run.

                Mason
              • billy.turf
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                  <homemade12476@...> wrote:

                  > a few mins ago i was making a final run with my 1st half gallon
                  > capped. i sat it down on the table i collect on not noticeing that
                  > left the screwdriver that i used to tighted my cooling hose clamp
                  > with.sat the jug on the screwdriver out of the corner of my eye i
                  > seen it falling and tried to catch it,knocked it into my propane
                  > burner with it running.blue flame every place.i grabed my hose i
                  > always keep handy and put it out. i invented a few words i never
                  > even heard. but thought about it hell i can make more,thank god it
                  > was just a jug.my point is be safe and keep something handy to put
                  > out a fire. chris

                  I don't don't know how anyone could use an open flame anywhere near a
                  stil, I'd be terrified that the house would blow. I always tighten
                  hose clamps up with a 7mm ratchet myself, not a screw driver. One
                  time i was filling the cooling and the hoses got crossed, I had not
                  used the proper tool for the job and the hose poped off the stil, of
                  course nothing was running yet, but if I had of used the proper tool
                  on the hose, namely a ratchet, it never would have popped off.

                  I know some of you guys use fire, but fire is not so controllable as
                  an internal element, not so safe either. I can understand that in the
                  short run it's cheaper if you don't have to purchase a heating
                  element or whatever, but I think it could be a serious problem if you
                  have a leak of alcohol around an open flame.

                  I think its maybe better not to introduce fire, then you don't have
                  to worry about putting one out! Alcohol vapors tend to explode
                  anyways so having something to put out a fire may not help.
                • homemade12476
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                    bill fire is all i have ever used.and never use it near the house
                    its 75feet from the shed on a slab,not near the house 100 yards
                    away.as far as the right tool for the job i turn wrenches for a
                    living i can break a hose clamp with a socket or a screwdriver by
                    over tightening.a screwdriver is the proper tool.and as
                    for "{Alcohol vapors tend to explode", the mixture has to be perfect
                    and ignited at the right mixtuer,movies give people the wrong ideas
                    you have a better chance blowing your self up it pressur in your
                    boiler. chris "smoking around gas does not kill people lighting the
                    cig does"--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476" <homemade12476@...> wrote:

                      > bill fire is all i have ever used.and never use it near the house
                      > its 75feet from the shed on a slab,not near the house 100 yards
                      > away.as far as the right tool for the job i turn wrenches for a
                      > living i can break a hose clamp with a socket or a screwdriver by
                      > over tightening.a screwdriver is the proper tool.and as
                      > for "{Alcohol vapors tend to explode", the mixture has to be perfect
                      > and ignited at the right mixtuer,movies give people the wrong ideas
                      > you have a better chance blowing your self up it pressur in your
                      > boiler. chris "smoking around gas does not kill people lighting the
                      > cig does"--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf"

                      Don't look like no movie to me.  Stay safe...

                      When Fire Becomes Master

                      This is what happens in distilleries when fire gets out of control.  Which proves beyond doubt that even the most carefully thought out and rigorously applied safety rules can sometimes not be enough to prevent a catastrophe.

                      The message is clear.  Never become complacent about distilling, and never leave a working still unattended.  Ignore this advice and this could easily be your home.

                      1997  Heaven Hill Distillery Bardstown Kentucky.

                      This photo is from the 1997 fire at Heaven Hill Distillery. (photos courtesy of The Kentucky Standard).

                      Another photo from the Heaven Hill fire. Kentucky Standard staff members at the scene reported huge fireballs of unburnt alcohol that were forced hundreds of feet into the air until they found oxygen to combust.

                       The warehouse was previously a brewery but had been turned into a gin and vodka distillery prior to the fire.

                      G & J Greenall has been based in the North West since 1761

                      2006  Greenall's Distillery
                      Cheshire England

                      This is what's left after an arsonist set it alight.  Proving once again that alcohol is a highly flammable fuel.  All it needs is air (oxygen) and an ignition source (flame or spark).

                    • homemade12476
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                        i do respect the fire but im talking about explosion ."blowing up"
                        being a movie.the mix would have to be perfect.in an open air
                        enviroment this is not likely. but the fire is. chris

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                          <homemade12476@...> wrote:

                          > i do respect the fire but im talking about explosion ."blowing up"
                          > being a movie.the mix would have to be perfect.in an open air
                          > enviroment this is not likely. but the fire is. chris

                          I understand what you are saying. But I say this... TEST it, and
                          report back (if you are still capable). We here at these groups are
                          all about newbie's SAFETY. You wanna have that on your concience?
                          Your responsibility? This ain't a pissing contest. This is real
                          life. Why screw around with the real issue just to prove a rather
                          debatable point?

                          We try to give reliable info and advice. Then someone comes along and
                          clouds the issue wiht things that newbies WANNA HEAR because it
                          sounds easier or right up their alley. Later we hear that someone
                          got HURT and then where are the folks that gave the misleading info?
                          NOWHERE IN SIGHT, that's where.

                          FIRE + ETHANOL is SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS! YES it can be managed, but
                          newbies need to be AWARE of the DANGERS. I too have used flame as an
                          energy source to distilling, but it's a tiger in sheep's clothing.
                          Electricity is a much tamer animal for the sizes (personal hobby
                          size, remember?) of distillations we do.

                        • homemade12476
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 7, 2008
                            harry, i want them to be safe.thats why i first made this post.
                            maybe this will help the newbies. 1.i use a lose seal at the top of
                            my column if pressure or fire ever ran up my worm it would blow the
                            2inch seal and shoot flames into the air.2.i dont cook and
                            drink.3.water on hand all the time.4.cook away from your house.5.i
                            never leave i even piss in the bush 20 feet away.
                            as far as a pissing match never wanted one,funny you called this a
                            pissing match and when jessy emailed me i told him that i never
                            wanted one. i dont know who he is but if you2 have a prob with
                            eachother ,keep me out of it....chris --- In