Re: what is a black pot still?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
      Welp homemade,

      Thank God Marvin "Popcorn" was using at least stainless steel for his
      boilers... Many folk down here in the backwoods used far less
      recommended materials such as galvanized steel - along with car
      radiators (with lead solder) for condensers (and some still do).
      Stainless steel will not adversly affect taste and usually copper tubing
      was used for the lyne armes.

      However, as Popcorn had been written up and as he has stated:

      "Sutton is well-known for the craftsmanship of his custom-made stills,
      seen at demonstrations throughout the Appalachians. Commenting on
      local stills displayed at the Moonshiner's Jamboree, Sutton bluntly
      stated,
      "They'd be liable to kill you. They're making them out of galvanized
      sheet metal. Even if it was copper, it would have to be clean, with
      none of that green stuff on it."

      Further questioned on choice of construction materials for stills,
      Sutton said, "Back home, I make mine out of stainless steel. Some of
      these here are so bad they even use a car radiator instead of a worm
      [condensing coil]. Oh, it'll work, but it'll kill you.""

      Also, dont forget Popcorn was first arrested in the 1980's for shining,
      which would a put him in his 30s - hes in his 60's now.....

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
      <homemade12476@...> wrote:

      > thanks james but it was not popcorn it was a younger guy.how do they
      > get away with using steel without effecting the tast?---
    • homemade12476
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
        would like to know where he got it. that stuff is about $425 a sheet
        now.--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"