Re: what is a black pot still?

  • homemade12476
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
      thanks james but it was not popcorn it was a younger guy.how do they
      get away with using steel without effecting the tast?--- In
      new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>
      wrote:

      > Welp Home,
      >
      > Your History channel was probably talking about our old
      friend "Popcorn"
      > Sutton who just recently got busted again for selling 300 gallons
      of
      > shine to out BATF friends. He has done many documentaries on
      Southern

      http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/04/noted-moonshiner-pleads-guilty-\
      > to-charges/

      <http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/04/noted-moonshiner-pleads-guilty\
      > -to-charges/>
      >
      > He has also been written up around Maggie County, NC which I know
      very
      > well, and has described some of the "local" Moonshining Traditions
      LoL.
      > (no wonder he got busted [:)] ).
      >
      > In the article he talks of the pot stills described in North
      Carolina as

      <http://www.mitchellspublications.com/bio/hhm/index.htm> ,

      http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/vis/suttonp/01-image.j\

      \
      > jpg>
      >
      > While visiting Chatham during August 2002, Popcorn Sutton
      > <http://www.mitchellspublications.com/ur/nc/suttonp/> made
      several
      > interesting observations on the local moonshining tradition.
      Sutton, of
      > Maggie Valley, North Carolina, was in town to participate in the
      fourth
      > annual Moonshiners Jamboree <http://moonshinersjamboree.com/> at
      nearby
      > Climax, Virginia. The acknowledged senior spokesman of western
      North

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
        Welp homemade,

        Thank God Marvin "Popcorn" was using at least stainless steel for his
        boilers... Many folk down here in the backwoods used far less
        recommended materials such as galvanized steel - along with car
        radiators (with lead solder) for condensers (and some still do).
        Stainless steel will not adversly affect taste and usually copper tubing
        was used for the lyne armes.

        However, as Popcorn had been written up and as he has stated:

        "Sutton is well-known for the craftsmanship of his custom-made stills,
        seen at demonstrations throughout the Appalachians. Commenting on
        local stills displayed at the Moonshiner's Jamboree, Sutton bluntly
        stated,
        "They'd be liable to kill you. They're making them out of galvanized
        sheet metal. Even if it was copper, it would have to be clean, with
        none of that green stuff on it."

        Further questioned on choice of construction materials for stills,
        Sutton said, "Back home, I make mine out of stainless steel. Some of
        these here are so bad they even use a car radiator instead of a worm
        [condensing coil]. Oh, it'll work, but it'll kill you.""

        Also, dont forget Popcorn was first arrested in the 1980's for shining,
        which would a put him in his 30s - hes in his 60's now.....

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
          would like to know where he got it. that stuff is about $425 a sheet
          now.--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"