Re: Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • peter442737
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
      into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
      a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
      pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
      illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
      If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
      may have it totally wrong.
      thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
      <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature
      will
      > > be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the
      distillate
      > > that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .
      > >
      > > Rami
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"

      > > some
      > length
      > > fill
      > the
      > > tank.
      > > distill

      > > > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
      > > > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead
      > now
      > > > use an offset head.
      > > > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F
      comment.
      > > > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to
      around
      > > > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
      > > wash.
      > > > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
      > > > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you
      > may
      > > be
      > > > missing a few important parts.
      > > >
      > > > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left
      > side.
      > > > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
      > > Brass
      > > > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans
      that
      > is
      > > > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the
      thermometer
      > is
      > > > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
      > > rings.
      > > > This will cause erratic and false readings.
      > > > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
      > > > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work
      > properly
      > > > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
      > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
      > > into
      > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
      > > clearly
      > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
      > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
      > > > overflow without the valve in place.
      > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
      > > container is
      > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
      have
      > > > with these types of still heads.
      > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
      > into
      > > the
      > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
      > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

        Cary,

        Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
          Sidenote:

          Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
          Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
          wrote:

          > Cary,
          >

          > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
          > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
          > "Good" product.
          >

          > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Ken Mc
          >

          > _____

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

            > Mason
            > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
            > remarks for my previous message and my still.

            > Rami

            Hello Rami,
            Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
            is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
            at the top as I could get it.
            As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
            the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
            do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
            to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
            large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
            cut and cleaner product.

            Mason
          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
              Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
              Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                Equipment
                Making a still
                Designs and Plans
                Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                I like it better than the slant plate design.

                Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                I cant make it work.

                Mason
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                  > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                  > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Brendan Keith
                  > bkeith@...

                  They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                  Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                  See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                  http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                • nevorami
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                    I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                    <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Mason
                    > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                    your
                    > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                    b=9

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008

                      Actually Mason,

                      Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                      This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.