Re: Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • nevorami
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 10:49 PM
      I am sorry, I had to upload my full installed system photo , it
      will clarify everything .
      In picture 3 - the long tube is the offtake for the distillate and
      already have needle valve .
      That's true , the brass fitting is for the Thermometer that fitted
      with Teflopn tape that separate between the two metals .
      The Thermometer place is on the tpo of the column above the raschig
      rings .
      I followed Bokakob's instructions in a very orthodoxy way so I
      didn't forgot to drill the vent hole in the upper cap of the
      condenser .
      Regarding running the still , as I understand , for stripping run I
      have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature will
      be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the distillate
      that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .

      Rami

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
      <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload
      some
      > > photos .
      > > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length
      fill
      > > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
      > > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the
      tank.
      > > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re
      distill
      > > the liquid .
      > >
      > > Rami
      > >

      > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
      > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now
      > use an offset head.
      > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
      > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
      > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
      wash.
      > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
      > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may
      be
      > missing a few important parts.
      >
      > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
      > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
      Brass
      > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
      > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
      > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
      rings.
      > This will cause erratic and false readings.
      > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
      > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
      > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
      > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
      into
      > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
      clearly
      > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
      > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
      > overflow without the valve in place.
      > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
      container is
      > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
      > with these types of still heads.
      > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into
      the
      > top cap above the condenser coil.
      > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
      > valve and small liebig chiller.
      b=3

      > Mason

    • nevorami
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2 12:14 PM
        Mason
        I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
        remarks for my previous message and my still.

        Rami

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
        > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
        > into
        > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
        > clearly
        > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
        > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
        > > overflow without the valve in place.
        > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
        > container is
        > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
        > > with these types of still heads.
        > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
        into
        > the
        > > top cap above the condenser coil.
        > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle

      • rhodeseng
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2 1:29 PM
          Rami

          that's a pretty piece of work

          I don't see why u would need to do stripping runs at all.

          The reflux column looks perfectly capably of producing 90 percent on
          any run.

          trash the first few ounces.

          collect up thru 83 degrees

          and STOP.

          It should make good product first and every time.

          cary

        • peter442737
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2 2:11 PM
            Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
            into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
            a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
            pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
            illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
            If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
            may have it totally wrong.
            thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
            <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
            > > into
            > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
            > > clearly
            > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
            > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
            > > > overflow without the valve in place.
            > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
            > > container is
            > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
            have
            > > > with these types of still heads.
            > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
            > into
            > > the
            > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
            > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2 2:16 PM

              Cary,

              Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2 2:26 PM
                Sidenote:

                Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
                Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                wrote:

                > Cary,
                >

                > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
                > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
                > "Good" product.
                >

                > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Ken Mc
                >

                > _____

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2 6:05 PM
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

                  > Mason
                  > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                  > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                  > Rami

                  Hello Rami,
                  Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
                  is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
                  at the top as I could get it.
                  As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
                  the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
                  do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
                  to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
                  large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
                  cut and cleaner product.

                  Mason
                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2 6:41 PM
                    Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                    Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2 7:46 PM
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                      > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                      > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                      Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                      Equipment
                      Making a still
                      Designs and Plans
                      Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                      Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                      I like it better than the slant plate design.

                      Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                      I cant make it work.

                      Mason
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2 8:04 PM

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                        > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                        > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                        >

                        > --
                        > Brendan Keith
                        > bkeith@...

                        They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                        http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                        Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                        See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                        http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                      • nevorami
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2 11:18 PM
                          Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                          I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                          <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Mason
                          > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                          your
                          > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                          b=9

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3 4:34 AM

                            Actually Mason,

                            Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                            This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                            Vino es Veritas,

                            Jim.