what is a black pot still?

  • homemade12476
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008
      i was watching a show on the history channel about boot leggers and
      rum runners,and some guy in the 80s got busted with 36 "black pot
      stills". it this just pot stills or ???????
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008

        Welp Home,

        Your History channel was probably talking about our old friend "Popcorn" Sutton who just recently got busted again for selling 300 gallons of shine to out BATF friends.  He has done many documentaries on Southern Moonshining and was so notorious down here, it was just a question of time.  See:  http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/04/noted-moonshiner-pleads-guilty-to-charges/

        He has also been written up around Maggie County, NC which I know very well, and has described some of the "local" Moonshining Traditions LoL.  (no wonder he got busted :)).

        In the article he talks of the pot stills described in North Carolina as a "submarine", "black pot or black pot submarine", since they are made out of steel and turn black over the wood fires used to heat em up by the streams.  But yes Homes,  a black pot is nothing but a pot still :):)

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim.

        Here's the article itself:

        Popcorn Sutton Comments on Local Moonshine Tradition

        http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/vis/suttonp/01-image.jpg

        While visiting Chatham during August 2002, Popcorn Sutton made several interesting observations on the local moonshining tradition. Sutton, of Maggie Valley, North Carolina, was in town to participate in the fourth annual Moonshiners Jamboree at nearby Climax, Virginia. The acknowledged senior spokesman of western North Carolina moonshiners, Sutton is the author of an autobiography entitled Me and My Likker.

        Sutton is well-known for the craftsmanship of his custom-made stills, seen at demonstrations throughout the Appalachians. Commenting on local stills displayed at the Moonshiner's Jamboree, Sutton bluntly stated, "They'd be liable to kill you. They're making them out of galvanized sheet metal. Even if it was copper, it would have to be clean, with none of that green stuff on it."

        Further questioned on choice of construction materials for stills, Sutton said, "Back home, I make mine out of stainless steel. Some of these here are so bad they even use a car radiator instead of a worm [condensing coil]. Oh, it'll work, but it'll kill you."

        "It's just the cheapest way to do it. These fellows can go into business for three hundred dollars. The way I do it costs ten thousand."

        "I reckon that's why they say this Jamboree's `In Memory of the Moonshiners.' Around here I guess they're all dead from drinking their own stuff."

        Sutton further mused that the language of moonshiners is for the most part universal, but that there are a few local variations. "What we call a `still' in North Carolina is a `pot' in Tennessee. And here they call it a `submarine' or a `black pot' or a `black pot submarine.'"

        Asked about his experience, Sutton laughed, "Oh, I've run more whiskey than Jack Daniel." From his occasional brushes with the law, Sutton speaks charitably of North Carolina law enforcement officials and local members of the legal profession, but not so of "alche-hol enforcement agents."

        Where does he get his name "Popcorn?"

        "Years ago in a barroom I busted a popcorn machine, and had to pay for it. Since then, that's what they call me. It's on my car titles and everything."

        With that description, one's imagination tends to run toward the idea of a wild-west-movie brawl, but this incident was a private misunderstanding between Sutton and the plastic dome popcorn machine which took his money and didn't give him popcorn!

        Nowadays Sutton has his own "salon," (not "saloon"), a popular antique shop in Maggie Valley. "People come from all over. Just ask anybody in Maggie Valley where to find Popcorn Sutton, and they'll tell you where I am!"

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
          Side note Home:

          While I have met the dude once, I have very little respect for him due
          to the way he has blatently advertised our "Hobby" and broke our first
          rule - DO NOT SELL YOUR PRODUCT!!!.

          There are many of us here trying to make distilling a legitimate venture
          in many countries including the US of A along with beer making and wine
          making now. However, if you go around and start blowing up stills, the
          way Popcorn did, then start carring guns and selling un-taxed shine to
          ABTF people - this does not help our cause. This is what I try to teach
          people - BE SAFE AND DONT SELL THE CHIT....

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>

          \
> [...]
          and
          > everything."
          >
          > With that description, one's imagination tends to run toward the idea
          of
          > a wild-west-movie brawl, but this incident was a private
          > misunderstanding between Sutton and the plastic dome popcorn machine
          > which took his money and didn't give him popcorn!
          >
          > Nowadays Sutton has his own "salon," (not "saloon"), a
          > popular antique shop in Maggie Valley. "People come from all over.
          > Just ask anybody in Maggie Valley where to find Popcorn Sutton, and
          > they'll tell you where I am!"
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
          > homemade12476@ wrote:
          > >
          > > i was watching a show on the history channel about boot leggers and
          > > rum runners,and some guy in the 80s got busted with 36 "black pot
          > > stills". it this just pot stills or ???????
          ___snip____
        • homemade12476
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
            thanks james but it was not popcorn it was a younger guy.how do they
            get away with using steel without effecting the tast?--- In

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
              Welp homemade,

              Thank God Marvin "Popcorn" was using at least stainless steel for his
              boilers... Many folk down here in the backwoods used far less
              recommended materials such as galvanized steel - along with car
              radiators (with lead solder) for condensers (and some still do).
              Stainless steel will not adversly affect taste and usually copper tubing
              was used for the lyne armes.

              However, as Popcorn had been written up and as he has stated:

              "Sutton is well-known for the craftsmanship of his custom-made stills,
              seen at demonstrations throughout the Appalachians. Commenting on
              local stills displayed at the Moonshiner's Jamboree, Sutton bluntly
              stated,
              "They'd be liable to kill you. They're making them out of galvanized
              sheet metal. Even if it was copper, it would have to be clean, with
              none of that green stuff on it."

              Further questioned on choice of construction materials for stills,
              Sutton said, "Back home, I make mine out of stainless steel. Some of
              these here are so bad they even use a car radiator instead of a worm
              [condensing coil]. Oh, it'll work, but it'll kill you.""

              Also, dont forget Popcorn was first arrested in the 1980's for shining,
              which would a put him in his 30s - hes in his 60's now.....

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
                would like to know where he got it. that stuff is about $425 a sheet
                now.--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"