Re: Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
      > photos .
      > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
      > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
      > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
      > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
      > the liquid .
      >
      > Rami

      Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
      instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now I
      use an offset head.
      I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
      For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
      99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the wash.
      This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
      Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may be
      missing a few important parts.

      1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
      This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the Brass
      fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
      for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
      not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing rings.
      This will cause erratic and false readings.
      2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
      possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
      you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
      overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and into
      the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It clearly
      show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
      drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
      overflow without the valve in place.
      3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the container is
      very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
      with these types of still heads.
      4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into the
      top cap above the condenser coil.
      5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
      valve and small liebig chiller.

      Mason
    • nevorami
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        I am sorry, I had to upload my full installed system photo , it
        will clarify everything .
        In picture 3 - the long tube is the offtake for the distillate and
        already have needle valve .
        That's true , the brass fitting is for the Thermometer that fitted
        with Teflopn tape that separate between the two metals .
        The Thermometer place is on the tpo of the column above the raschig
        rings .
        I followed Bokakob's instructions in a very orthodoxy way so I
        didn't forgot to drill the vent hole in the upper cap of the
        condenser .
        Regarding running the still , as I understand , for stripping run I
        have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature will
        be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the distillate
        that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .

        Rami

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
        <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

        > > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload
        some
        > > photos .
        > > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length
        fill
        > > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
        > > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the
        tank.
        > > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re
        distill
        > > the liquid .
        > >
        > > Rami
        > >

        > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
        > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now
        > use an offset head.
        > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
        > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
        > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
        wash.
        > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
        > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may
        be
        > missing a few important parts.
        >
        > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
        > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
        Brass
        > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
        > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
        > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
        rings.
        > This will cause erratic and false readings.
        > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
        > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
        > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
        > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
        into
        > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
        clearly
        > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
        > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
        > overflow without the valve in place.
        > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
        container is
        > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
        > with these types of still heads.
        > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into
        the
        > top cap above the condenser coil.
        > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
        > valve and small liebig chiller.
        b=3

        > Mason

      • nevorami
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
          Mason
          I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
          remarks for my previous message and my still.

          Rami

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
          > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
          > into
          > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
          > clearly
          > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
          > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
          > > overflow without the valve in place.
          > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
          > container is
          > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
          > > with these types of still heads.
          > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
          into
          > the
          > > top cap above the condenser coil.
          > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle

        • rhodeseng
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
            Rami

            that's a pretty piece of work

            I don't see why u would need to do stripping runs at all.

            The reflux column looks perfectly capably of producing 90 percent on
            any run.

            trash the first few ounces.

            collect up thru 83 degrees

            and STOP.

            It should make good product first and every time.

            cary

          • peter442737
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
              into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
              a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
              pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
              illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
              If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
              may have it totally wrong.
              thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
              <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
              > > into
              > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
              > > clearly
              > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
              > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
              > > > overflow without the valve in place.
              > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
              > > container is
              > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
              have
              > > > with these types of still heads.
              > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
              > into
              > > the
              > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
              > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                Cary,

                Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

                Cheers

                Ken Mc

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Sidenote:

                  Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
                  Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Cary,
                  >

                  > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
                  > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
                  > "Good" product.
                  >

                  > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Ken Mc
                  >

                  > _____

                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

                    > Mason
                    > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                    > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                    > Rami

                    Hello Rami,
                    Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
                    is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
                    at the top as I could get it.
                    As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
                    the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
                    do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
                    to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
                    large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
                    cut and cleaner product.

                    Mason
                  • Brendan Keith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                      Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                      Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                      --
                      Brendan Keith
                      bkeith@...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                        > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                        > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                        Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                        Equipment
                        Making a still
                        Designs and Plans
                        Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                        Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                        I like it better than the slant plate design.

                        Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                        I cant make it work.

                        Mason
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                          > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                          > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                          >

                          > --
                          > Brendan Keith
                          > bkeith@...

                          They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                          http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                          Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                          See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                          http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                        • nevorami
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                            I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                            <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Mason
                            > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                            your
                            > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                            b=9

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008

                              Actually Mason,

                              Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                              This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                              Vino es Veritas,

                              Jim.