Re: Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

      > Thank's for your answer .
      > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and wine ,homedistiller.org
      > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
      > from one of the plans in the site .
      > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
      > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
      > It was first run of whiskey .
      >
      > Rami

      Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one of
      the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
      If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
      you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
      then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
      advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
      time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
      "iffy" adventure.
      Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low Abv
      still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip run
      especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice flow
      of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
      wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer at
      least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
      trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.

      Mason
    • nevorami
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank's for your answer .
        > > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and
        wine ,homedistiller.org
        > > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
        > > from one of the plans in the site .
        > > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
        > > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
        > > It was first run of whiskey .
        > >
        > > Rami
        >

        > Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one
        of
        > the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
        > If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
        > you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
        > then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
        > advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
        > time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
        > "iffy" adventure.
        > Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low
        Abv
        > still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip
        run
        > especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice
        flow
        > of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
        > wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer
        at
        > least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
        > trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.
        >
        > Mason

        My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
        photos .
        my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
        with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
        There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
        As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
        the liquid .

        Rami
      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
          > photos .
          > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
          > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
          > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
          > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
          > the liquid .
          >
          > Rami

          Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
          instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now I
          use an offset head.
          I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
          For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
          99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the wash.
          This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
          Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may be
          missing a few important parts.

          1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
          This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the Brass
          fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
          for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
          not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing rings.
          This will cause erratic and false readings.
          2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
          possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
          you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
          overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and into
          the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It clearly
          show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
          drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
          overflow without the valve in place.
          3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the container is
          very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
          with these types of still heads.
          4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into the
          top cap above the condenser coil.
          5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
          valve and small liebig chiller.

          Mason
        • nevorami
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            I am sorry, I had to upload my full installed system photo , it
            will clarify everything .
            In picture 3 - the long tube is the offtake for the distillate and
            already have needle valve .
            That's true , the brass fitting is for the Thermometer that fitted
            with Teflopn tape that separate between the two metals .
            The Thermometer place is on the tpo of the column above the raschig
            rings .
            I followed Bokakob's instructions in a very orthodoxy way so I
            didn't forgot to drill the vent hole in the upper cap of the
            condenser .
            Regarding running the still , as I understand , for stripping run I
            have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature will
            be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the distillate
            that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .

            Rami

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
            <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

            > > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload
            some
            > > photos .
            > > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length
            fill
            > > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
            > > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the
            tank.
            > > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re
            distill
            > > the liquid .
            > >
            > > Rami
            > >

            > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
            > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now
            > use an offset head.
            > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
            > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
            > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
            wash.
            > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
            > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may
            be
            > missing a few important parts.
            >
            > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
            > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
            Brass
            > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
            > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
            > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
            rings.
            > This will cause erratic and false readings.
            > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
            > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
            > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
            > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
            into
            > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
            clearly
            > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
            > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
            > overflow without the valve in place.
            > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
            container is
            > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
            > with these types of still heads.
            > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into
            the
            > top cap above the condenser coil.
            > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
            > valve and small liebig chiller.
            b=3

            > Mason

          • nevorami
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
              Mason
              I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
              remarks for my previous message and my still.

              Rami

            • rhodeseng
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                Rami

                that's a pretty piece of work

                I don't see why u would need to do stripping runs at all.

                The reflux column looks perfectly capably of producing 90 percent on
                any run.

                trash the first few ounces.

                collect up thru 83 degrees

                and STOP.

                It should make good product first and every time.

                cary

              • peter442737
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
                  into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
                  a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
                  pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
                  illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
                  If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
                  may have it totally wrong.
                  thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
                  <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
                  > > into
                  > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
                  > > clearly
                  > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
                  > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
                  > > > overflow without the valve in place.
                  > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
                  > > container is
                  > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
                  have
                  > > > with these types of still heads.
                  > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
                  > into
                  > > the
                  > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
                  > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                    Cary,

                    Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                      Sidenote:

                      Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
                      Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Cary,
                      >

                      > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
                      > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
                      > "Good" product.
                      >

                      > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Ken Mc
                      >

                      > _____

                    • rye_junkie1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

                        > Mason
                        > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                        > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                        > Rami

                        Hello Rami,
                        Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
                        is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
                        at the top as I could get it.
                        As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
                        the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
                        do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
                        to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
                        large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
                        cut and cleaner product.

                        Mason
                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                          Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                          Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                            > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                            > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                            Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                            Equipment
                            Making a still
                            Designs and Plans
                            Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                            Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                            I like it better than the slant plate design.

                            Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                            I cant make it work.

                            Mason
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                              > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                              > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                              >

                              > --
                              > Brendan Keith
                              > bkeith@...

                              They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                              http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                              Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                              See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                              http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                            • nevorami
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                                Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                                I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                                <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Mason
                                > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                                your
                                > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                                b=9

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008

                                  Actually Mason,

                                  Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                                  This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                                  Vino es Veritas,

                                  Jim.