Re: Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • nevorami
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      Thank's for your answer .
      I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and wine ,homedistiller.org
      is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
      from one of the plans in the site .
      I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
      temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
      It was first run of whiskey .

      Rami

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
      > >

      > > While distilling fresh corn whiskey mash (from files/all distiller
      > > recipes / fresh corn hiskey.doc )it was very difficult to get
      > > temperature equilibrium of the still .
      > > between 78 c to 84c ( degrees celsius ) I got whiskey that smell
      good
      > > and very clear .
      > >
      > > Is there any danger of methanol in this liquid ?? ( I didn't got
      any
      > > liquid in 60 c ) .
      > >

      > Hello Nevo,
      > Sorry but your gonna have to provide a lot more info than what you
      > have here. For instance what type of Still are you using? Pot
      stills
      > dont equalize. Was this a Stripping run? Spirit run? Did you
      follow
      > the 15 gallon recipe or the 5 gallon version? How new are you to
      this
      > Hobby?
      > If this was first run whiskey then at 78 to 84C you got mostly
      > Foreshots and Heads. While there is not much Methanol in a grain
      mash
      > there are other nasties like Acetone and Ethyl Acetate that you want
      > to get out of your drinking spirit and discard as Foreshots.
      > You have a lot of reading to do.
      > Not getting anything coming out at 60C does not really mean
      anything.
      > You probably did however get a few drops of POISON between there
      and
      > around 80C if this is first run whiskey. When Distilling in a
      single
      > run which I do not recommend (Not many do) you MUST discard the
      first
      > 150 to 200ml that comes from the condenser. Read, Read ,Read. We
      are
      > more than glad to answer your questions and above all do not want to
      > hear you got hurt. The info in the DataBase and on
      > http://homedistiller.org/ is a great place to get started in
      learning
      > this Hobby. You will not be able to understand all of it and that
      is
      > where we in this group come into play.
      >
      > Mason

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

        > Thank's for your answer .
        > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and wine ,homedistiller.org
        > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
        > from one of the plans in the site .
        > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
        > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
        > It was first run of whiskey .
        >
        > Rami

        Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one of
        the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
        If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
        you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
        then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
        advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
        time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
        "iffy" adventure.
        Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low Abv
        still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip run
        especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice flow
        of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
        wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer at
        least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
        trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.

        Mason
      • nevorami
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thank's for your answer .
          > > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and
          wine ,homedistiller.org
          > > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
          > > from one of the plans in the site .
          > > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
          > > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
          > > It was first run of whiskey .
          > >
          > > Rami
          >

          > Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one
          of
          > the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
          > If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
          > you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
          > then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
          > advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
          > time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
          > "iffy" adventure.
          > Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low
          Abv
          > still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip
          run
          > especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice
          flow
          > of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
          > wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer
          at
          > least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
          > trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.
          >
          > Mason

          My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
          photos .
          my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
          with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
          There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
          As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
          the liquid .

          Rami
        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
            > photos .
            > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
            > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
            > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
            > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
            > the liquid .
            >
            > Rami

            Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
            instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now I
            use an offset head.
            I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
            For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
            99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the wash.
            This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
            Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may be
            missing a few important parts.

            1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
            This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the Brass
            fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
            for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
            not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing rings.
            This will cause erratic and false readings.
            2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
            possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
            you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
            overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and into
            the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It clearly
            show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
            drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
            overflow without the valve in place.
            3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the container is
            very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
            with these types of still heads.
            4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into the
            top cap above the condenser coil.
            5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
            valve and small liebig chiller.

            Mason
          • nevorami
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
              I am sorry, I had to upload my full installed system photo , it
              will clarify everything .
              In picture 3 - the long tube is the offtake for the distillate and
              already have needle valve .
              That's true , the brass fitting is for the Thermometer that fitted
              with Teflopn tape that separate between the two metals .
              The Thermometer place is on the tpo of the column above the raschig
              rings .
              I followed Bokakob's instructions in a very orthodoxy way so I
              didn't forgot to drill the vent hole in the upper cap of the
              condenser .
              Regarding running the still , as I understand , for stripping run I
              have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature will
              be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the distillate
              that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .

              Rami

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
              <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

              > > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload
              some
              > > photos .
              > > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length
              fill
              > > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
              > > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the
              tank.
              > > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re
              distill
              > > the liquid .
              > >
              > > Rami
              > >

              > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
              > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now
              > use an offset head.
              > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
              > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
              > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
              wash.
              > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
              > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may
              be
              > missing a few important parts.
              >
              > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
              > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
              Brass
              > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
              > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
              > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
              rings.
              > This will cause erratic and false readings.
              > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
              > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
              > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
              > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
              into
              > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
              clearly
              > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
              > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
              > overflow without the valve in place.
              > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
              container is
              > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
              > with these types of still heads.
              > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into
              the
              > top cap above the condenser coil.
              > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
              > valve and small liebig chiller.
              b=3

              > Mason

            • nevorami
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                Mason
                I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                remarks for my previous message and my still.

              • rhodeseng
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Rami

                  that's a pretty piece of work

                  I don't see why u would need to do stripping runs at all.

                  The reflux column looks perfectly capably of producing 90 percent on
                  any run.

                  trash the first few ounces.

                  collect up thru 83 degrees

                  and STOP.

                  It should make good product first and every time.

                  cary

                • peter442737
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
                    into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
                    a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
                    pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
                    illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
                    If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
                    may have it totally wrong.
                    thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
                    <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
                    > > into
                    > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
                    > > clearly
                    > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
                    > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
                    > > > overflow without the valve in place.
                    > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
                    > > container is
                    > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
                    have
                    > > > with these types of still heads.
                    > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
                    > into
                    > > the
                    > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
                    > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

                  • KM Services
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                      Cary,

                      Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

                      Cheers

                      Ken Mc

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Sidenote:

                        Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
                        Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

                        Vino es Veritas,

                        Jim.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Cary,
                        >

                        > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
                        > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
                        > "Good" product.
                        >

                        > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Ken Mc
                        >

                        > _____

                      • rye_junkie1
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

                          > Mason
                          > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                          > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                          > Rami

                          Hello Rami,
                          Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
                          is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
                          at the top as I could get it.
                          As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
                          the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
                          do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
                          to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
                          large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
                          cut and cleaner product.

                          Mason
                        • Brendan Keith
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                            Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                            --
                            Brendan Keith
                            bkeith@...

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                              > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                              > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                              Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                              Equipment
                              Making a still
                              Designs and Plans
                              Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                              Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                              I like it better than the slant plate design.

                              Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                              I cant make it work.

                              Mason
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                                > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                                > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                                >

                                > --
                                > Brendan Keith
                                > bkeith@...

                                They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                                http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                                Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                                See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                                http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                              • nevorami
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                                  Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                                  I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                                  <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Mason
                                  > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                                  your
                                  > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                                  b=9

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008

                                    Actually Mason,

                                    Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                                    This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                                    Vino es Veritas,

                                    Jim.