Fresh Corn Whiskey

  • nevorami
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      While distilling fresh corn whiskey mash (from files/all distiller
      recipes / fresh corn hiskey.doc )it was very difficult to get
      temperature equilibrium of the still .
      between 78 c to 84c ( degrees celsius ) I got whiskey that smell good
      and very clear .

      Is there any danger of methanol in this liquid ?? ( I didn't got any
      liquid in 60 c ) .
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

        > While distilling fresh corn whiskey mash (from files/all distiller
        > recipes / fresh corn hiskey.doc )it was very difficult to get
        > temperature equilibrium of the still .
        > between 78 c to 84c ( degrees celsius ) I got whiskey that smell good
        > and very clear .
        >
        > Is there any danger of methanol in this liquid ?? ( I didn't got any
        > liquid in 60 c ) .

        Hello Nevo,
        Sorry but your gonna have to provide a lot more info than what you
        have here. For instance what type of Still are you using? Pot stills
        dont equalize. Was this a Stripping run? Spirit run? Did you follow
        the 15 gallon recipe or the 5 gallon version? How new are you to this
        Hobby?
        If this was first run whiskey then at 78 to 84C you got mostly
        Foreshots and Heads. While there is not much Methanol in a grain mash
        there are other nasties like Acetone and Ethyl Acetate that you want
        to get out of your drinking spirit and discard as Foreshots.
        You have a lot of reading to do.
        Not getting anything coming out at 60C does not really mean anything.
        You probably did however get a few drops of POISON between there and
        around 80C if this is first run whiskey. When Distilling in a single
        run which I do not recommend (Not many do) you MUST discard the first
        150 to 200ml that comes from the condenser. Read, Read ,Read. We are
        more than glad to answer your questions and above all do not want to
        hear you got hurt. The info in the DataBase and on
        http://homedistiller.org/ is a great place to get started in learning
        this Hobby. You will not be able to understand all of it and that is
        where we in this group come into play.

        Mason
      • nevorami
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          Thank's for your answer .
          I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and wine ,homedistiller.org
          is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
          from one of the plans in the site .
          I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
          temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
          It was first run of whiskey .

          Rami

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
          > >

          > > While distilling fresh corn whiskey mash (from files/all distiller
          > > recipes / fresh corn hiskey.doc )it was very difficult to get
          > > temperature equilibrium of the still .
          > > between 78 c to 84c ( degrees celsius ) I got whiskey that smell
          good
          > > and very clear .
          > >
          > > Is there any danger of methanol in this liquid ?? ( I didn't got
          any
          > > liquid in 60 c ) .
          > >

          > Hello Nevo,
          > Sorry but your gonna have to provide a lot more info than what you
          > have here. For instance what type of Still are you using? Pot
          stills
          > dont equalize. Was this a Stripping run? Spirit run? Did you
          follow
          > the 15 gallon recipe or the 5 gallon version? How new are you to
          this
          > Hobby?
          > If this was first run whiskey then at 78 to 84C you got mostly
          > Foreshots and Heads. While there is not much Methanol in a grain
          mash
          > there are other nasties like Acetone and Ethyl Acetate that you want
          > to get out of your drinking spirit and discard as Foreshots.
          > You have a lot of reading to do.
          > Not getting anything coming out at 60C does not really mean
          anything.
          > You probably did however get a few drops of POISON between there
          and
          > around 80C if this is first run whiskey. When Distilling in a
          single
          > run which I do not recommend (Not many do) you MUST discard the
          first
          > 150 to 200ml that comes from the condenser. Read, Read ,Read. We
          are
          > more than glad to answer your questions and above all do not want to
          > hear you got hurt. The info in the DataBase and on
          > http://homedistiller.org/ is a great place to get started in
          learning
          > this Hobby. You will not be able to understand all of it and that
          is
          > where we in this group come into play.
          >
          > Mason

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

            > Thank's for your answer .
            > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and wine ,homedistiller.org
            > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
            > from one of the plans in the site .
            > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
            > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
            > It was first run of whiskey .
            >
            > Rami

            Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one of
            the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
            If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
            you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
            then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
            advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
            time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
            "iffy" adventure.
            Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low Abv
            still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip run
            especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice flow
            of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
            wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer at
            least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
            trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.

            Mason
          • nevorami
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank's for your answer .
              > > I am new in distilling hobby after liquer and
              wine ,homedistiller.org
              > > is like a bible for me , I built reflux still
              > > from one of the plans in the site .
              > > I made 5 gallon recipe , I had difficulties to stabilized the
              > > temperature on 78.3c ,therefore I had the range of temperatures.
              > > It was first run of whiskey .
              > >
              > > Rami
              >

              > Was your still of choice a offset head/Valved reflux design or one
              of
              > the ones with the cooling tubes through the column?
              > If it was one with cooling through tubes they are quite finicky and
              > you would be better off doing a strip run on a couple of washes and
              > then distilling the "Low Wines" for the 2nd Spirit run. I do not
              > advocate single running for drinking spirit. I spent quite a lot of
              > time trying to make single running work and even with reflux it is a
              > "iffy" adventure.
              > Your temp issue comes from the fact that you were distilling a low
              Abv
              > still charge. This is normal for stripping run. During a strip
              run
              > especially from a low gravity wash it is common to not get a nice
              flow
              > of product until you reach temps in the 190F range. Take those low
              > wines from the strip run (if there is sufficient volume, I prefer
              at
              > least 2 gallons) and re distill them and you shouldn't have any
              > trouble provided you adjust the reflux ratio properly.
              >
              > Mason

              My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
              photos .
              my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
              with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
              There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
              As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
              the liquid .

              Rami
            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload some
                > photos .
                > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length fill
                > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
                > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the tank.
                > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re distill
                > the liquid .
                >
                > Rami

                Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
                instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now I
                use an offset head.
                I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
                For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
                99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the wash.
                This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
                Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may be
                missing a few important parts.

                1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
                This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the Brass
                fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
                for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
                not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing rings.
                This will cause erratic and false readings.
                2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
                possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
                you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
                overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and into
                the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It clearly
                show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
                drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
                overflow without the valve in place.
                3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the container is
                very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
                with these types of still heads.
                4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into the
                top cap above the condenser coil.
                5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
                valve and small liebig chiller.

                Mason
              • nevorami
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                  I am sorry, I had to upload my full installed system photo , it
                  will clarify everything .
                  In picture 3 - the long tube is the offtake for the distillate and
                  already have needle valve .
                  That's true , the brass fitting is for the Thermometer that fitted
                  with Teflopn tape that separate between the two metals .
                  The Thermometer place is on the tpo of the column above the raschig
                  rings .
                  I followed Bokakob's instructions in a very orthodoxy way so I
                  didn't forgot to drill the vent hole in the upper cap of the
                  condenser .
                  Regarding running the still , as I understand , for stripping run I
                  have to run the still twice , in the first run the Temperature will
                  be around 99c , in the second run I have to distill the distillate
                  that I got in the first run in Temparature of 78.3c .

                  Rami

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1"
                  <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                  > > My still is "two-cups" still by Bokakob , I have just upload
                  some
                  > > photos .
                  > > my tank is 32 liter ,the column is 50 mm diameter,1 meter length
                  fill
                  > > with 6mm ceramic raschig rings .
                  > > There is not enought low wine , most of the wash is still in the
                  tank.
                  > > As you recommend , heating the wash to 190f = 87.7c and re
                  distill
                  > > the liquid .
                  > >
                  > > Rami
                  > >

                  > Very nice choice of Still Head. If I had gone with that Design
                  > instead of the Slant plate I might still be using it. Instead now
                  > use an offset head.
                  > I think you may have misunderstood me regarding the 190F comment.
                  > For a stripping run you will need to distill the wash up to around
                  > 99C. This will get almost all of the usable ethanol out of the
                  wash.
                  > This will commonly be close to 1/3 of the wash volume.
                  > Back to you still head. I have a few questions as I think you may
                  be
                  > missing a few important parts.
                  >
                  > 1. In picture 3 you show a long tube coming off of the left side.
                  > This should be for the offtake for the distillate. What is the
                  Brass
                  > fitting on the right for? Never mind, looking at the plans that is
                  > for the thermometer. You need to make sure that the thermometer is
                  > not touching any metal nor is it touching any of the packing
                  rings.
                  > This will cause erratic and false readings.
                  > 2. I do not see a needle valve in the off take line. This is
                  > possibly your equalizing problem. For this column to work properly
                  > you need a way to stop/control the flow of distillate so that it
                  > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
                  into
                  > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
                  clearly
                  > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
                  > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
                  > overflow without the valve in place.
                  > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
                  container is
                  > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to have
                  > with these types of still heads.
                  > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled into
                  the
                  > top cap above the condenser coil.
                  > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the needle
                  > valve and small liebig chiller.
                  b=3

                  > Mason

                • nevorami
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Mason
                    I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                    remarks for my previous message and my still.

                    Rami

                  • rhodeseng
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                      Rami

                      that's a pretty piece of work

                      I don't see why u would need to do stripping runs at all.

                      The reflux column looks perfectly capably of producing 90 percent on
                      any run.

                      trash the first few ounces.

                      collect up thru 83 degrees

                      and STOP.

                      It should make good product first and every time.

                      cary

                    • peter442737
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Hi Nevorami Just thought I would throw my tupence wort of experience
                        into this debate. I had a Bok Two Cup column but have now moved onto
                        a Vapour Management Still. In picture 2 it looks like your take off
                        pipe seems to be a little bit high in the cup or is this just an
                        illusion. My take off pipe was hard against the floor of the cup.
                        If this observation is nonsense then please accept my apologies as I
                        may have it totally wrong.
                        thepatchworkdoll-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami"
                        <nevoa@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > overflows the cup and sends the liquid back down the column and
                        > > into
                        > > > the packing IE. REFLUX. Take another look at the plans. It
                        > > clearly
                        > > > show the use of a 1/4" needle valve and to the right of the main
                        > > > drawing mention of an "overflow collection pool". There is no
                        > > > overflow without the valve in place.
                        > > > 3. You will find that the distillate coming out into the
                        > > container is
                        > > > very hot. A small liebig condenser/chiller is a good idea to
                        have
                        > > > with these types of still heads.
                        > > > 4. VERY IMPORTANT. make sure you have the VENT HOLE drilled
                        > into
                        > > the
                        > > > top cap above the condenser coil.
                        > > > 5. Here is a pic of my offset head that clearly shows the

                      • KM Services
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                          Cary,

                          Stripping is method of “pre cleaning” your wash and with controlled distillation and fine cuts gives an “Excellent” product as opposed to a “Good” product.

                          Cheers

                          Ken Mc

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Sidenote:

                            Also review 'Double Distilling' in the Info Base from Tony's site - as
                            Ken said this is the best way to clean up you spirits.

                            Vino es Veritas,

                            Jim.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Cary,
                            >

                            > Stripping is method of "pre cleaning" your wash and with controlled
                            > distillation and fine cuts gives an "Excellent" product as opposed to
                            > "Good" product.
                            >

                            > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            >
                            > Ken Mc
                            >

                            > _____

                          • rye_junkie1
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@...> wrote:

                              > Mason
                              > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me your
                              > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                              > Rami

                              Hello Rami,
                              Very nice work indeed. My only comment would be that the Needle valve
                              is a little low in my opinion. I would have it as close to the bend
                              at the top as I could get it.
                              As for the strip run comments on both sides. I will always advocate
                              the strip run as many others do but I urge you to try it both ways and
                              do what works best for you and most of all TASTES best. The advantage
                              to beer stripping is that it allows you to charge the still with a
                              large content of low wines which in turn will give you a larger middle
                              cut and cleaner product.

                              Mason
                            • Brendan Keith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                                Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                                Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                                --
                                Brendan Keith
                                bkeith@...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                                  > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                                  > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.

                                  Go to http://homedistiller.org/
                                  Equipment
                                  Making a still
                                  Designs and Plans
                                  Bokakob Designs (all the way at bottom of list)
                                  Right hand Column 6th down from the top.

                                  I like it better than the slant plate design.

                                  Sorry but Homedistiller does not allow for direct links. Or at least
                                  I cant make it work.

                                  Mason
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...> wrote:

                                    > Are there any diagrams of the Bokakob 2 cup head? I looked through both
                                    > Yahoo groups photo folders with no luck.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Brendan Keith
                                    > bkeith@...

                                    They're on Tony's Homedistiller site...
                                    http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                                    Be aware some of Alex's designs are concepts only i.e. they are 'on paper'. They've haven't been built as a prototype or road tested by the designer.  But most of 'em should work.  He said himself the 2-cup was "never finished".

                                    See here for a 2-cup build with pics...
                                    http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6842

                                  • nevorami
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                                      Thank you Mason and other members of the group for your advises .
                                      I will be back with results , I hope , after my next run .

                                      <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevorami" <nevoa@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Mason
                                      > > I have just upload some pictures of my still , please send me
                                      your
                                      > > remarks for my previous message and my still.

                                      b=9

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008

                                        Actually Mason,

                                        Yes it does.  Go to the page you want there, right click on it and click on properties - you will get this for the Boka designs:  http://homedistiller.org/photos-alex.htm

                                        This is how I put links into the Info base.  Going to do it to this one too :).

                                        Vino es Veritas,

                                        Jim.