Re: [new_distillers] Re: Pot stilling MUM wash

  • Rob Macrobert
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
      Thanks Jim.
      I've pretty much decided to stay with my simple pot rig and doubler and have started giving everything I'm putting through it a very close look for unwanted flavour causing stuff.
      I've had a few experimental batches with an off flavour, and am trying to narrow down the cause, because it isn't there if I run it in a reflux rig with a high amount of reflux.

      Cheers

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Macrobert" <macrobert@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone here tried running the MUM wash through a pot still?
        > I'm curious if the Miracle Grow adds any unwanted flavour that wouldn't
        > be noticeable in a reflux rig.
        >
        > And on a more light hearted note, now that everyone in the distillers
        > list has had the crap scared out of them about possible lead poisoning
        > due to untreated brass in the still, I felt that a very serious
        threat to
        > home distillers should be mentioned.

        Thought I would weigh in here as well. My answer is Yes also. When I
        first did the MUM wash I distilled it 4 times in my pot rig. I did
        this in keeping with the "store bought" theme feeling that using my
        reflux column would be cheating. I did use baking Soda on the 4th run.
        It was some of the best tasting product I have made to date.

        Mason
      • Rob Macrobert
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
          Thanks Mason,
          I'll try the bicarb in my next run.
          The last run of wash I did was about as simple as it can get, using golden brown sugar instead of white and I did two batches, one using miracle grow and the other using boiled yeast and multi vitamins.
          Just trying some variations to see what tasties I could come up with.
          After three runs each, making the cuts as close to the same as I could get it, the miracle grow had a distinctive taste to it compared to the yeast and vitamin mix.
          It could be the type of sugar acting with it, or maybe the wash was  contaminated somehow.
          I don't know, but anyway you cut it, the end result didn't last long once I shared samples of the two batches with friends around a campfire

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2008
            wrote:

            > Thanks Mason,
            > I'll try the bicarb in my next run.
            > The last run of wash I did was about as simple as it can get, using
            > golden brown sugar instead of white and I did two batches, one using
            > miracle grow and the other using boiled yeast and multi vitamins.
            > Just trying some variations to see what tasties I could come up with.
            > After three runs each, making the cuts as close to the same as I could
            > get it, the miracle grow had a distinctive taste to it compared to the
            > yeast and vitamin mix.
            > It could be the type of sugar acting with it, or maybe the wash was
            > contaminated somehow.
            > I don't know, but anyway you cut it, the end result didn't last long
            once
            > I shared samples of the two batches with friends around a
            campfire[IMAGE]

            > Cheers

            I would be interested in hearing if you noticed any difference in the
            amount of Trub between these 2 washes. This was going to be my next
            experiment with MUM in the next couple of weeks. When I initially did
            the experiment I got a tremendous amount of Trub and it was believed
            that the cause was a lack of nutrients that the plant food did not
            provide but that the introduction of some epsom salts and multi
            vitamin would have cured. Sounds like you did not use M/G for both of
            the washes so it would not be an accurate judge but I am still
            interested in the result if you took notice.

            Mason
          • Rob Macrobert
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
              The non M/G had less trub, but what was there was pretty lumpy compared to the M/G mix.
              I'm going to be making more this week, so I'll do an original batch and one with epsom and multi vitamins to compare.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
                wrote:

                > The non M/G had less trub, but what was there was pretty lumpy compared
                > to the M/G mix.
                > I'm going to be making more this week, so I'll do an original batch and
                > one with epsom and multi vitamins to compare.
                >
                > Cheers

                Thanks Rob Mac,
                I will be looking for your update. if memory serves me correct I
                remember the MG trub being a bit "fluffy". Not compacted like
                conventional methods seem to give.

                Mason