Re: Pot stilling MUM wash

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
      Hi Rob,

      Yes, I have been using Miracle-Gro for over a year now and was the one
      of the members who convinced Mason to try it out.

      The original recipes using plant food were Harry's 666 (sign of the
      devil) wash and Viktor's Econ-0-Wash which I copied using Miracle-Gro.
      (look it up on Tony's site).

      I have used it in a pot still for my rums, white lighten' corn whiskey
      and sugar washes with no after tastes.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim.

      PS. It aint so much the fox and deer type critters that get in my wash
      but them yellow jackets, blue tailed lizzards and tree frogs that love
      it (I believe Harry's problems are his Geko's hehehe). Also there have
      been many postings about how to put brass / bronze in a acid solution to
      soak the bad stuff out.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Macrobert" <macrobert@...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone here tried running the MUM wash through a pot still?
      > I'm curious if the Miracle Grow adds any unwanted flavour that
      wouldn't
      > be noticeable in a reflux rig.
      >
      > And on a more light hearted note, now that everyone in the distillers
      > list has had the crap scared out of them about possible lead poisoning
      > due to untreated brass in the still, I felt that a very serious threat
      > home distillers should be mentioned.
      >
      > Wildlife.
      >
      > This evening, while sampling my attempt at Harry's Glenmorange clone,
      > hear an awful noise out back.
      >
      > The local foxes were trying their best to break into (chew into?) the
      out building where I have my fermenters.
      > Wondering what the hell was going on, I go have a look and as soon as
      I got to the building discovered that the smell from a 10 gallon batch
      of the MUM and 2 10 gallon batches of the clone was _rather_ noticeable
      outside.
      > After scaring those critters the hell off, we later had deer nosing
      around the shed.
      > See, even Mother Nature thinks Harry and Mason come up with some good
      recipes!
      > I finally had to post the dog down there to keep the bandits from
      stealing the goods, and tomorrow will put on bubblers and filters to
      kill the smell.

      > cheers
      > Robbie Mac
      >
      > --
      > Nothing says Labor Day like 500hp of American muscle
      > Visit OnCars.com today.

    • Rob Macrobert
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
        Thanks Jim.
        I've pretty much decided to stay with my simple pot rig and doubler and have started giving everything I'm putting through it a very close look for unwanted flavour causing stuff.
        I've had a few experimental batches with an off flavour, and am trying to narrow down the cause, because it isn't there if I run it in a reflux rig with a high amount of reflux.

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
          wrote:

          > Has anyone here tried running the MUM wash through a pot still?
          > I'm curious if the Miracle Grow adds any unwanted flavour that wouldn't
          > be noticeable in a reflux rig.
          >
          > And on a more light hearted note, now that everyone in the distillers
          > list has had the crap scared out of them about possible lead poisoning
          > due to untreated brass in the still, I felt that a very serious
          threat to
          > home distillers should be mentioned.

          Thought I would weigh in here as well. My answer is Yes also. When I
          first did the MUM wash I distilled it 4 times in my pot rig. I did
          this in keeping with the "store bought" theme feeling that using my
          reflux column would be cheating. I did use baking Soda on the 4th run.
          It was some of the best tasting product I have made to date.

          Mason
        • Rob Macrobert
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2008
            Thanks Mason,
            I'll try the bicarb in my next run.
            The last run of wash I did was about as simple as it can get, using golden brown sugar instead of white and I did two batches, one using miracle grow and the other using boiled yeast and multi vitamins.
            Just trying some variations to see what tasties I could come up with.
            After three runs each, making the cuts as close to the same as I could get it, the miracle grow had a distinctive taste to it compared to the yeast and vitamin mix.
            It could be the type of sugar acting with it, or maybe the wash was  contaminated somehow.
            I don't know, but anyway you cut it, the end result didn't last long once I shared samples of the two batches with friends around a campfire

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2008
              wrote:

              > Thanks Mason,
              > I'll try the bicarb in my next run.
              > The last run of wash I did was about as simple as it can get, using
              > golden brown sugar instead of white and I did two batches, one using
              > miracle grow and the other using boiled yeast and multi vitamins.
              > Just trying some variations to see what tasties I could come up with.
              > After three runs each, making the cuts as close to the same as I could
              > get it, the miracle grow had a distinctive taste to it compared to the
              > yeast and vitamin mix.
              > It could be the type of sugar acting with it, or maybe the wash was
              > contaminated somehow.
              > I don't know, but anyway you cut it, the end result didn't last long
              once
              > I shared samples of the two batches with friends around a
              campfire[IMAGE]

              > Cheers

              I would be interested in hearing if you noticed any difference in the
              amount of Trub between these 2 washes. This was going to be my next
              experiment with MUM in the next couple of weeks. When I initially did
              the experiment I got a tremendous amount of Trub and it was believed
              that the cause was a lack of nutrients that the plant food did not
              provide but that the introduction of some epsom salts and multi
              vitamin would have cured. Sounds like you did not use M/G for both of
              the washes so it would not be an accurate judge but I am still
              interested in the result if you took notice.

              Mason
            • Rob Macrobert
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
                The non M/G had less trub, but what was there was pretty lumpy compared to the M/G mix.
                I'm going to be making more this week, so I'll do an original batch and one with epsom and multi vitamins to compare.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > The non M/G had less trub, but what was there was pretty lumpy compared
                  > to the M/G mix.
                  > I'm going to be making more this week, so I'll do an original batch and
                  > one with epsom and multi vitamins to compare.
                  >
                  > Cheers

                  Thanks Rob Mac,
                  I will be looking for your update. if memory serves me correct I
                  remember the MG trub being a bit "fluffy". Not compacted like
                  conventional methods seem to give.

                  Mason