Re: soldering

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23 7:27 AM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>
      wrote:

      > i need to join a brass fitting to stainless steel tube. i can get my
      > hands on a couple of different solders but im not sure if they are food
      > safe.
      > does any one know which metals and fluxes in these rods to avoid and
      > which ones are good to use
      > any product recomendations would be appreciated aswell. thanks

      For Copper to Copper or for Cop to Brass I just use the lead free pipe
      stuff at lowes, Sterling is the brand I think. When you add
      Stainless to the mix though you need something more reliable like
      Silver Braze.
      http://tinyurl.com/5tjevc
      You need Oxy acetylene to use it but it is quite easy to use and the
      tensile strength is that of a welded joint.
      Amazon didnt have a pic of the 45% stuff that I use but it comes in
      the same type kit. Your local welding supply house should carry it.
      I am guess you are building a BOK or similar column and trying to
      attach the brass nut to the bottom. If you dont have the required
      gasses the I would get a kit and take it to your local welding shop
      and let them do it. They wont know what it is. Also Jim, if its not
      already there I think this link would be good for the Data base.
      http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/consumables/alloys.asp?id=30

      Mason