horse feed

  • djames@aculink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2001
      i guess my question on the use of horse feed was not technical
      enough for this group....... how about this one.......i have three
      outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
      pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??
      thx.
      d.james
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2001
        > i guess my question on the use of horse feed was
        >not technical enough for this group

        Its not like that at all. No snobs allowed. I've forward your question to
        Deb, who's recipe it was, but she hasn't replied. Maybe she's on holiday
        somewhere. I'm guessing not too many other people use horse feed as a
        starting point.

        >i have three
        >outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
        >pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??

        three half-inch tubes gives an area of 0.6 square inches, whereas a two
        inch diameter has an area of 3.1 square inches. The bigger area of the 2"
        tube means that the vapour velocity out it will be quite a bit slower, so
        it it goes up a bit, before angling down towards the condensor, you might
        get a bit more distillate running back into the pot (ie a little bit of
        reflux happening). This will lighten the flavour a little bit - sometimes
        a good thing. Also less likely to block, and easier to clean. As to
        whether its "best" depends on a whole lotta things - what the shape is
        like, surface area for cooling, what sort of flavour you want, etc. Some
        of these aren't scientific, but arty guesses based on experience. See the
        whole range of different commercial pot stills and their different
        diameters, lengths etc. Hard to say which is "right" or "better". See
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/commercial.htm . But if i had to
        pick, yeah I'd take the 2" over the 3 little ones.

        Tony
      • djames@aculink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2001
          --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Tony & Elle Ackland
          <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > > i guess my question on the use of horse feed was
          > >not technical enough for this group
          >
          > Its not like that at all. No snobs allowed. I've forward your
          question to
          > Deb, who's recipe it was, but she hasn't replied. Maybe she's on
          holiday
          > somewhere. I'm guessing not too many other people use horse feed
          as a
          > starting point.
          >
          > >i have three
          > >outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
          > >pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??
          >
          > three half-inch tubes gives an area of 0.6 square inches, whereas a
          two
          > inch diameter has an area of 3.1 square inches. The bigger area of
          the 2"
          > tube means that the vapour velocity out it will be quite a bit
          slower, so
          > it it goes up a bit, before angling down towards the condensor, you
          might
          > get a bit more distillate running back into the pot (ie a little
          bit of
          > reflux happening). This will lighten the flavour a little bit -
          sometimes
          > a good thing. Also less likely to block, and easier to clean. As
          > whether its "best" depends on a whole lotta things - what the shape
          is
          > like, surface area for cooling, what sort of flavour you want,
          etc. Some
          > of these aren't scientific, but arty guesses based on experience.
          See the
          > whole range of different commercial pot stills and their different
          > diameters, lengths etc. Hard to say which is "right" or "better".
          See
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/commercial.htm . But if i
          had to
          > pick, yeah I'd take the 2" over the 3 little ones.

          Tony

          thanks for the reply, i promise to be patient from now on......old
          age and cold colorado weather tend to make a fella grumpy!!!!.....it
          could also be jealosy for the warmth down under
          thx again
          don james