casks

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2008
      Ciao a tutti.

      Next month is a very important month: they make wine, and I ... will
      hunt for grape pomaces and second press wine to make grappa.

      Till now I have a barrel (not too much, just 10 liters) made by oak
      that gave a very tasteful grappa: soft, well balanced, full of
      aromas: if I have to find an example with a woman, I feel something
      like a woman about 35 years old, dark blond, white skin, tall, not
      very shapely but ... with everything at the right place and in riht
      quantity (not a few, not too much). Character sweet but she know
      what she is and whay shw want, compliant but also strong ...

      I hope you understand.

      I want to try the "solera" method, already used in Italy to get
      the "aceto balsamico tradizionale", that is called also "the black
      gold" because the price (about 70 - 80 Euro per 100 ml.).

      This method consist in taking away the distillate to drink from the
      last barrel, and to fill this one with the same quantity from the
      barrel before, to fill it with the distillate that is into the barrel
      before, and so on.

      I want to use particular woods: the last cask must be made by ash
      tree: this wood doesn't give some particular flavour or colour, but
      has a very small structure of wood pores, so the grappa can reach a
      good equilibrium of aromas.

      Before this I want to have cask made by cherry tree wood: make the
      grappa soft, eliminate the "corners" of grappa, give sweetness an a
      particular, pleasant taste and a marvellous dark reddish colour.

      But ... isn't finished: I want, before this one, a cask made with
      another too wood: the acacia wood, to give the particular "honey
      taste". Also a nice yellow pale colour is given by that wood.

      And, finally, as first I'll put my old oak cask: perfect to give some
      vanilla flavours, some brown colour, some taste of "past period".

      Results? In about 1 year the first taste, then ... I don't know,
      depend from me, my friends, ....

      Ciao a tutti

      micio felice
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2008
        Hi, folks.

        Micio, you certainly have an eye for a lady!
        And if you got your wish you would be a very happy old tomcat!

        <sigh>

        If you were good at working with wood, but you thought a barrel-shape
        would be too difficult, maybe it would be a lot easier to make a
        barrel in the shape of a cylinder.

        Every stave would be exactly the same shape along its full length,
        and assembling it should be far easier.

        Regards,

        The Baker

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
        <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

        > Ciao a tutti.
        >
        > Next month is a very important month: they make wine, and I ...
        will
        > hunt for grape pomaces and second press wine to make grappa.
        >
        > Till now I have a barrel (not too much, just 10 liters) made by oak
        > that gave a very tasteful grappa: soft, well balanced, full of
        > aromas: if I have to find an example with a woman, I feel something
        > like a woman about 35 years old, dark blond, white skin, tall, not
        > very shapely but ... with everything at the right place and in riht
        > quantity (not a few, not too much). Character sweet but she know
        > what she is and whay shw want, compliant but also strong ...
        >
        > I hope you understand.
        >
        > I want to try the "solera" method, already used in Italy to get
        > the "aceto balsamico tradizionale", that is called also "the black
        > gold" because the price (about 70 - 80 Euro per 100 ml.).
        >
        > This method consist in taking away the distillate to drink from
        the
        > last barrel, and to fill this one with the same quantity from the
        > barrel before, to fill it with the distillate that is into the
        barrel
        > before, and so on.
        >
        > I want to use particular woods: the last cask must be made by ash
        > tree: this wood doesn't give some particular flavour or colour, but
        > has a very small structure of wood pores, so the grappa can reach a
        > good equilibrium of aromas.
        >
        > Before this I want to have cask made by cherry tree wood: make the
        > grappa soft, eliminate the "corners" of grappa, give sweetness an a
        > particular, pleasant taste and a marvellous dark reddish colour.
        >
        > But ... isn't finished: I want, before this one, a cask made with
        > another too wood: the acacia wood, to give the particular "honey
        > taste". Also a nice yellow pale colour is given by that wood.
        >
        > And, finally, as first I'll put my old oak cask: perfect to give
        some
        > vanilla flavours, some brown colour, some taste of "past period".
        >
        > Results? In about 1 year the first taste, then ... I don't know,
        > depend from me, my friends, ....
        >
        > Ciao a tutti
        >
        > micio felice

      • miciofelice2003
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2008
          Ciao a tutti e ciao The Baker.

          God created the Heaven and the Hell fon human being, and created the
          woman to show to men how those places can be.

          No , I don't want to make my casks: I already bought.

          Here, in Italy, it's possible to find a lot of factories that make
          casks: the average price is, for a cask of 10 liters, about 50 - 55
          Euro for oak and 65 - 70 Euro for other woods.

          I inform that now I have into my house four casks, exactly I
          described with my post: oak, cherry, ash, acacia.

          And so .... let's go !!!

          Ciao a tutti.

          micio felice

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>