Re: Run speed and temperature help

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008

      "Mason"  said:

      > For a pot set up you will need to adjust the heat (flame) to an
      > product output of about 1 or 2 drips per second or if you have a
      > measuring glass 20 or so ml per minute.  this is a good flow rate for
      > a spirit run.  Patience required.

      Harry says:

      Yes it is still dependent (as in design parameters), not charge dependent.  Specifically it depends on the diameter or cross-sectional area of your "column" (reflux still) or the "neck & lyne arm" (pot still).  The bigger that is, the more vapour volume you can push through without increasing the volume speed, which must remain within certain limits to achieve a purer product.

      Most of us using hobby sized equipment opt for a 2" (50mm) diameter plumbing above the boiler.  Hence Mason's correct advice about drip rate.  If you go too much bigger than that you'll have other design issues to deal with.  And then it's getting a bit beyond a hobby rig, just like the pic below my sig.

      Dr. McCoy stands beside
      the "neck" of the pot still.