RE: [new_distillers] Attachment

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2002
      > Would the diameter of the hole from the still to the column make a
      > difference to the flow rate, say a 1 inch hole or smaller.

      Yes, particularly if it is too small (eg smaller than 1 inch for a 1500W+
      heat input). Remember that area increases at the square of diameter, so a
      1/2 inch hole only has 1/4 the area of a 1 inch hole.

      Others have told me of even larger fittings still causing the column to
      back up with liquid because it couldn't drain fast enough.

      If you do run a smaller hole, make sure that none of the packing is
      likewise helping block it.

      I've just modified the attachment between my column & lid. It was a 1.5"
      to 1" adapter, with the hole through the centre about the width of your
      finger. This lid would sometimes leak a bit a steam/vapour, particularly
      when pouring extra stuff back in down the top of the column, or if the
      packing was starting to get a little dirty. I've since changed the fitting
      to be a 1.5" to 1.25" adapter, and the hole in the center of this is big
      enough for two fingers. The lid no longer vents, and I don't need the lead
      weight belt sitting on the lid anymore.

      Tony