Re: voltage controller

  • billy.turf
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
      I would not use one of those, they aren't really suited for the purpose
      for a few reasons. I have never seen one that can handle a heating
      element like mine (2200watt)

      They work by cutting into the phase, if it's a regular dimmer curcuit
      it's a phase angle controller if you use one of these it will get very
      hot when it has to sink such high power. They also make noise on your
      electrical net when you load them with a big heater, can cause
      interference with other electronic equiptment. Think of the tv and
      stereo.

      What you can use is a zero crossing heater controller. these turn on
      and off when the AC voltage crosses the 0V point. These do not cause
      interference and mine can handle 120-240V at 25Amp or 3000watt
      whichever comes first. I also have got the components to build one,
      which I did, but I like the one I bought from Farnell better, it looks
      better, and it's all contained making it safer that what I had wired
      and soldered up.

      If you want to make a controller then I wouldn't go for a phase angle
      controller, I would just use a simple 555timer circuit then put that
      through a logic invertor and use that to drive a solid state relay. The
      timing here doesn't have to be very exact I mean it's a heating element
      and has a large amount of hysteresis it's not going to heat up all that
      quickly. If the whole time is something like 8seconds and you use a
      potmeter on the 555 to control it quite well.

      If you have got specs on you dimmer then put up a link, I can help you
      wire it up, but without seeing the specs I would not recommend it.

      Billy

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>