Re: %abv

  • fizzynick
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2002
      Hi JV,

      In the UK we have an Act of Parliament called the Trade Desciptions
      Act which protects products and consumers from mis-labelling.

      A good example is the difference between caramel and sugar. Both have
      the same ingredient (sugar) but have quite different looks, smells
      and tastes. The parameters of the Act stipulate that to be called
      caramel, the sugar must be treated in a certain way that will only
      produce caramel. Otherwise an unscrupulous trader could take a bag of
      sugar and label it as caramel.

      Likewise, bourbon has to meet legisaltive requirements (abv, colour,
      taste etc) to be called Bourbon.

      Regards

      Fizz

      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>