voltage controller

  • sexgods2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
      im in the process of making my boiler and am looking at using a solid
      state dimmer voltage controller to give full controll over the
      immersion element. complete units i have seen so far are quite
      expensive but the components are not.
      I am wondering if anyone has advise or information on how to wire up
      the components correctly.
      please email me if u can help
    • billy.turf
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
        I would not use one of those, they aren't really suited for the purpose
        for a few reasons. I have never seen one that can handle a heating
        element like mine (2200watt)

        They work by cutting into the phase, if it's a regular dimmer curcuit
        it's a phase angle controller if you use one of these it will get very
        hot when it has to sink such high power. They also make noise on your
        electrical net when you load them with a big heater, can cause
        interference with other electronic equiptment. Think of the tv and
        stereo.

        What you can use is a zero crossing heater controller. these turn on
        and off when the AC voltage crosses the 0V point. These do not cause
        interference and mine can handle 120-240V at 25Amp or 3000watt
        whichever comes first. I also have got the components to build one,
        which I did, but I like the one I bought from Farnell better, it looks
        better, and it's all contained making it safer that what I had wired
        and soldered up.

        If you want to make a controller then I wouldn't go for a phase angle
        controller, I would just use a simple 555timer circuit then put that
        through a logic invertor and use that to drive a solid state relay. The
        timing here doesn't have to be very exact I mean it's a heating element
        and has a large amount of hysteresis it's not going to heat up all that
        quickly. If the whole time is something like 8seconds and you use a
        potmeter on the 555 to control it quite well.

        If you have got specs on you dimmer then put up a link, I can help you
        wire it up, but without seeing the specs I would not recommend it.

        Billy

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>