Re: cleaning up carbon/charcoal

  • bordermeister
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin"
      <headsmashedin@...> wrote:

      > Was wondering,,,,After a couple good hard boils. Is it a necessity to
      > bake it in the over afterwards? Or, can I just lay it out on the hood
      > of my car on some tin foil? Or is it a 'heat thing' and needs to be in
      > the oven? Thanks
      >

      > Heads

      Hi,
      I have a simple/different method to most to clean carbon. I usually
      leave mine to soak the impurities out of a vodka wash for several
      weeks (shaking every couple of days). When I am straining the vodka I
      reserve the carbon and throw it into a container (gallon jug) with
      water. After several runs, I will have collected a reasonable amount
      of carbon. I will change the water a couple of times of 2-3 days.

      After this I will simply put the carbon in a pot on the gas stove with
      fresh water, boil it for 10-15 minutes, drain it, rinse it, drain it
      and then put it back on the gas flame. I will then "boil" it dry and
      stir it until it is completely dry.

      This appears to get all of the cognegers out of the carbon. I only do
      this once I have a sizeable collection of collected carbon.

      I have a fairly sensitive palate to faults etc.. in wine/beer/spirits
      (a couple of winemakers have had me give them a spirits 'Organoleptic
      ' lesson), this method appears to me to bring the carbon back to a
      similar efficiency as when it was new.

      Please note this is just my opinion from my own personal observations
      - I may be full of it....

      Cheers
      Mark