Re: Questions about mash cooking

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
      <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Here they go:
      >
      > 1.How must be done: first heating water to around 65C and next add
      > the grain or add both of them at the same time and when temp. is
      > reached turn the heat off? (How do you keep temp steady?)
      >
      > 2. Is constant stirring mandatory all the way until gelatinization
      > is observed? or if water is already hot grains won´t stick to the
      > button and burned?
      >
      > 3. Should a (slightly) burned mash be discarded, since it´ll give off
      > flavors once fermented and stripped?
      >
      > 4. Must extra water be added after mashing for diluting the whole
      > mash?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Alex

      Alex,
      If you are using Cracked grains you will need to steep them (not the
      Malt) in boiling water for an hour or so to gelatinize them. The
      finer the crack the easier this will be and you will probably achieve
      better conversion. Let the mash cool to between 150F and 153F and add
      the cracked malt. Stir it in really good and continue to give it a
      good stir every 15min or so for 90min to 2 hours. If you have iodine
      you can do that test after 90 min. Personally I dont bother.
      By getting the water boiling, adding the grain and then cutting the
      heat for a good steep you cut the risk of scorching to a minimum.
      As far as extra water I would boil 5 gallons of water from the start
      and add 10lbs grain plus 2 lbs malt for total 12lbs. That should be
      fine for 5 gallons. If you have a large enough pot. Oh, you will
      also want to stir the grain at the same 15min intervals while steeping.

      Mason