column materials

  • ebnjr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2001
      Is there a reason why brass is not discussed as an alternative to
      copper or stainless steel for a column? Brass tubing and ready made
      fittings are available to me but I am not sure whether they are
      appropriate materials..any input on this would be much appreciated.
      regards to the group!
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2001
        >Is there a reason why brass is not discussed as an alternative

        I think that its the uncertainty as to whether or not the zinc in it will
        leach out when exposed to hot alcohol.

        Tony
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2001
          On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 10:14:59PM -0000, ebnjr@... wrote:
          > Is there a reason why brass is not discussed as an alternative to
          > copper or stainless steel for a column? Brass tubing and ready made
          > fittings are available to me but I am not sure whether they are
          > appropriate materials..any input on this would be much appreciated.
          > regards to the group!

          I believe brass is mentioned as an appropriate material on Tony Ackland's
          kiwi_distiller site.

          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/materials.htm

          Matthew @ psibercom