Re: Dunder for Rum and Sour Mash for Whiskey

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Harry,
      >
      > I believe semantics are comming into play again. I have been using
      sour
      > mash as a noun versus sour mashing (the verb), which means to add
      > previous backset (which I guess should be called the "distilled soured
      > mash"), back into the sweet mash as in Dr. Crow's process (of Old Crow
      > Fame), which I am familiar with and have referenced in previous
      > postings.

      Hi Jim, I've got say, I have no exprience in making real sour mashes
      but I have read some stuff about it like the artical below. Point has
      done alot of this sort of stuff as well. Points words, Just to pick a
      sentence.

      "Just using backset is only half of the sour mash process. Until you
      get some lactic acid going it will never be "Sour"."

      Just following the unlce Jess's no cook recipe or simple sour mash corn
      flavoured spirit don't add up to the Sour Mash Procedure as far as I
      have seen.

      Sour Mash Procedure

      by Bill Vaughan
      2/4/95

      If you're doing a part-mash, part-extract recipe, this applies to your
      whole mash. If all-grain, you should probably only do this with part of
      your mash unless you like really sour beer. Mash as usual. Do NOT try
      to sour the mash before mashing -- it will get sour but will not
      convert. Amylase seems not to work at low pH. Take the mash to 170F for
      mash-out. At this point it contains no lactobacillus, so we will have
      to introduce some. There are four obvious sources: yogurt, sourdough,
      and "wild" lacto from grain hulls or the air. You need to cool the mash
      to the correct temperature for your lacto source.

      1. Yogurt: I use commercial packaged yogurt culture, from your local
      health food store. I suppose you could use grocery-store yogurt, but
      I've never tried it. Cool the mash to 90 degF, sprinkle the culture on
      the surface of the mash and mix it in.

      2. Sourdough: Use a commercial packaged sourdough starter, but don't
      just sprinkle it on your mash -- it will take too long. Instead, a week
      or so early (about when you do your yeast starter -- you DO do a yeast
      starter, don't you?) make a 1-pound mash of plain pale malt and start
      the sourdough starter in that. By mashing day it should be nice and
      stinky. Stir the whole mess into your mash. Starting and fermentation
      temp is about 105 degF.

      3. Wild lacto, from grain hulls: This is the traditional method. Just
      stir a quarter pound of grain, right from the sack, into your mash. I
      don't know the traditional temp, but I suspect 90-100 degF will work.

      4. Wild lacto, from the air: Cool your mash to about 90 degF, take it
      outside, and leave it open to the air for about twenty minutes. Shoo
      away the birds. In principle, this can give you a particularly local
      lactobacillus strain. I don't do it -- I figure my local strain is just
      lactobacillus sanfrancisco anyhow.

      In all cases, keep the mash at your fermentation temp until it is
      ready. That will take one to two days for yogurt culture, maybe three
      days for sourdough. The only time I tried wild lacto, it was like
      lightning -- five or six hours. When the stuff is done, it will look
      and smell spoiled. There is nothing uglier than a lactic fermentation,
      and your marriage may be in jeopardy from the stench. The mash will
      look soupy, with husks floating on top and a lot of bubbles. If you can
      get it past your nose, you will find that the liquid tastes good. Sour,
      but good.

      I suppose you can let the mash ferment to completion, but I don't. It
      would be terribly sour. I go for my target pH, and then raise the mash
      back to 170 degF for sparging. Before re-heating your mash, you should
      pull some out -- say a half pound to a pound -- and keep it. That way,
      if you like your sourmash beer, you have a ce ready-made for your next
      batch. It will keep for a surprisingly long time in the refrigerator,
      with a lid on it. Feed it every month or so. You can even make
      sourdough bread out of it.

      Cheers
      Marc